+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loving6 View Post
    Ok be honest.

DD (18) and I just got into huge fight over what I said to the check out lady.

I just brought a months worth of meat and few other groceries, including a 2ltr of cold juice. The checkout operator put the juice, butter,and ham (from the deli) in the same bag as two trays of raw chicken (that were leaky). I very calmly said "umm what done here is dangerous, putting raw chicken with drinks and food that you don't cook. It can cause food poisoning and could kill unborn babies." I am obversely pregnant. The checkout said nothing. My dd went off at me for saying anything at all. She hates confrontations. I had to unpacked the groceries and repack them.

So is it unreasonable to except that your cold drink isn't put into the same bag as leaky raw chicken packets.
    Leaky chicken bags is awful and common sense really!!! Call me a ***** but I would have gone to the service desk and asked to speak to the manager and ask that they have trained their check out operators correctly so not to put someones health (or life!) at risk!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hokey Pokey For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (15-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's protocol to ask whether it's ok to put meat in the same bag as non-meat products. I think what you said is reasonable. What's better, being passive and getting ecoli poisoning, or being proactive and protecting your baby? I know what I'd choose. I think the check out girl needs to know why it's important to separate the two.

18 year old are always going to be embarrassed by their mums. Don't worry about it!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MMelissa For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (15-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thing is, there are guidelines for packing but they only last a few months after starting the job. After that, the checkout chick has to find the line between pleasing the customer, not using too many bags nor being a tightarse and keeping the supervisor happy. Some customers want almost every single item in a separate bag, others have weight restrictions and then there are the ones who want you to fill the bags up as much as you can and couldn't give a toss what is bagged together.
    I wouldn't put leaky chicken in a bag with anything else, I'd put it in its own bag and then maybe with the other cold stuff, or leave it on its own. But then, I've been doing it for 8 years and I also buy my own groceries, both things the average checkout chick wouldn't have under her belt.
    If you said it politely, I don't see anything wrong, I appreciate when customers communicate their wants rather than assuming I'm a mind reader but the fact that you're asking here tells me maybe you were a touch snappy but you know what, in the scheme of things it's not a big deal. The checkout chick might have been annoyed but by the time her shift is over she'll be over it and maybe even learnt something from it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to vegemite For This Useful Post:

duckduckgoose  (16-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and fwiw, the guidelines are like with like, but the only specific "keep them separate" things are poisons and fresh produce (fruit/veg).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would've said something like "just so you know hun, its not good to put meat and raw items together" in a sweet voice and she probably would've been a bit more appreciating of the tip and used it in future.....making her feel like a baby killer (which she will because shes a teen and teenagers over analyse things massively) was probably a bad idea.

I hope her mother didnt just have a miscarraige, i hope she hasnt coped with an abortion or lost a baby she might not have just been on the ball and im actually quite upset for her the way you wrote it if you said it like you wrote it well, franky that was really pretentious and stuck up imo.

Just coz a customer is always right doesnt mean they always have the right to be rude.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PuppyGuts For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (16-01-2012),Azurial  (15-01-2012),Chocolate All Gone Now  (15-01-2012),emzluvbub  (16-01-2012),FiveInTheBed  (15-01-2012),Pinkzy  (16-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Honestly, yeah I think it was way OTT. I don't buy into the whole lysteria hysteria stuff and I always get asked if I would like my chicken or meat in another bag but I tell them not to worry, I reckon the poor girl just had a lapse in judgement or forgot or had no idea.

When I worked as a chckout chick and people would be all anal about it I;'d be thinking nasty things in my head hahaha. When I worked at a kebab shop a woman would always come in and make it sooo bloody obvious she was preg it was "are those organic tomatoes?" "is that mayonnaise fresh?" "can you cook the meat until its crispy?" FFS go make your own f***ing specialty gourmet kebab! Anyway...carry on haha.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemonhead For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (15-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had a similar situation last month, totally over the top but karma got me-

I made a point to boycott woolies as part of a green peace ban on them using GMO cooked chickens, anyway I hadn't been into a store for over a year and I was on my way home and needed toilet paper and Nappies and I was driving past a woolies so thought bugger it and went in, I also bought a kilo of bananas and went to the checkout,

I had to laugh when the couple in front of me were buying a hot chicken and a few other things but I noticed ( as did the checkout lady as she said oh yuk) that the chicken bag was leaking and yucky looking GMO chicken juice was all over the counter , so when I stood their holding my basket and the woman started pulling my stuff out of the basket and I said are you going to clean up the chicken mess before you put my grocerys on that bench?

She just looked at me and said its just chicken juice, it's cooked and I said " do you know what chemicals are leaking out of that chicken onto my grocerys? My son will eat those bananas and i don't want him eating genetically modified chicken juice!" so she called for a clean up and I stood there fuming ( at myself for giving in and going to woolies)

so yes OP I understand why you went off, and yes it was probably a little over the top but your pregnant so of course your a little hormonal ! ( I on the other hand am not pregnant and have no excuse !)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not unreasonable. This is why I only use self serve so I can organize my own bagging system. Chicken always gets its own bag as does mince if we buy at the supermarket as we mainly buy from butchers

I'd probably not have said the killing babies comment and would of just ask to put it in a separate bag

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by northern View Post
    I got home from shopping one day to unpack and find she'd put a block of chocolate (yes,m I was going to sit and eat the whole thing, what of it?) in with a hot chicken!

needless to say the choccy had melted and smelled like greasy meat.

I had to eat a frigging banana
    Lol bananas are the worst. Only chocolate covering them can make it better

Thanks
    Reviews
    eeewww lysteria is not the problem .......salllmonellllllaaaaa yuck!