+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by *Chels* View Post
    No way!!
    I used to be a checkout chick,and still pack my groceries the same way I learnt.I am a bit OCD when I do my groceries put them on Aldi checkout in their little "groups"
    I would have said something too
    Haha Im the same! DP finds it annoying that I group things but it means they are less likely to bag things wrong - like 2L of milk and bread! Grr

Then again... When I worked checkout there was no training on how to pack a bag well.
    So to get a checkout staff person that cares how they pack is lucky! Some care and some don't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I still find it weird that the check out staff pack the food for you. In England you do it yourself!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Leto For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Ok.. *TO ME* you had every right to say something, but what you said seems a bit...I dunno....telling offy Lol I would have gone with 'can you please separate the chicken cos I dont like the juice leaking onto other stuff'. Ive said that before. No big deal.
    I dont see why anyone would expect the check out chick to say anything in return. She's just going about her business. You just told her off....she isnt your child, nor did she do anything wrong to you. She probably was busy thinking '****, how much longer till I can go home' or was completely embarrassed that a stranger told her off. "Omg Im soo sorry I could have killed your unborn baby" would seem like a really weird thing to say.

Thats just my take on it.
    I agree with London. It's not that you said something, it was what you said and how I imagine it coming out in my head.

FWIW, I use a cold bag and put all the cold things in there together. If my meat is leaky, more often than not the check-out operator will put it in a plastic bag without asking, and if they don't, I ask for one. And if I don't like how they are packing it, I just say "Let me give you a hand" and take over and do it myself. They think I am being helpful, but really I am thinking you just put a heavy tin on top of my bread you idiot! and I get things packed how I want

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Ok.. *TO ME* you had every right to say something, but what you said seems a bit...I dunno....telling offy Lol I would have gone with 'can you please separate the chicken cos I dont like the juice leaking onto other stuff'. Ive said that before. No big deal.
    I dont see why anyone would expect the check out chick to say anything in return. She's just going about her business. You just told her off....she isnt your child, nor did she do anything wrong to you. She probably was busy thinking '****, how much longer till I can go home' or was completely embarrassed that a stranger told her off. "Omg Im soo sorry I could have killed your unborn baby" would seem like a really weird thing to say.

Thats just my take on it.
    I agree too. Though saying that, it was probably hormones! I was at the shops yesterday and was a mess so I proceeded to tell an old man to get out my way. Pregnant biatch yes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You were right to say something - meat should go in a separate bag. Tbh i do think you could have toned down how you responded - the part about killing unborn babies was a tad strong (not saying it's not true but a simple 'excuse me but it's dangerous mixing raw meat with other good could you please put them in separate bags'). The cashier was rude to not respond though.
    In short i think the way you spoke to the cashier was a bit hormonal but i don't disagree that you had every right to speak up and that the check out operator was wrong in the way she packed the bags.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I remember being 18 and below and being absolutely mortified if my Mum said anything to anyone in public, even if she was in 'the right', just the sheer fact she said it in front of me would be enough for me to chastise her after we left the scene or situation. However, now that I am a Mum myself, I do and say the same things she did, not impolite things (I'm not talking about being rude to someone in public), but simple things such as telling the deli lady you were the next person in line or something, so loving6, don't take it to heart, your DD was probably just reacting as an embarassed teen.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

ComeBackKid  (13-01-2012),LoveLivesHere  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    when I worked at Coles we were taught to put Meat alone in a bag, cold stuff alone in bag , hot chook alone etc so she shouldn't have put together

11. The Following User Says Thank You to EmPowering For This Useful Post:

FloatingFairy  (14-01-2012)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loving6 View Post

So is it unreasonable to except that your cold drink isn't put into the same bag as leaky raw chicken packets.
    No it's not. Next time you are in there I'd mention it to a supervisor just so they can maybe do some retraining in some areas. It's pretty dangerous, cross contamination is scary and a health risk.

And for what it's worth, I embarass my kids on a daily basis (it's in our job description ) so a from me for both of you.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (15-01-2012),proud-mum  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It's probably not something I'd do, because I hate confrontation and am a wuss, but I actually think it's good you told her WHY it's a bad idea... because if you just asked her to put things in a seperate bag she might just think you're picky/fussy... but now, she knows WHY and might reconsider doing it in future.

I guess tone was important too probably... the words aren't an issue IMO, but if you said it in a b*tchy voice then it'd probably be a bit of an overreaction (cos most check-out girls are quite young and probably don't know this stuff), but otherwise... meh.

I think it's weird she said nothing though - in a customer service role I'd always apologise and be polite, even if the person was being a complete douche. If all it takes is a simply, "Sorry, I didn't know," and then repacking a little... I don't see why she couldn't be bothered. That's pretty rude and slack.
    It's not a big deal (what you said) anyway Jen... so don't stress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That is gross, you were definitely right to say something. Checkout operators are trained how (and what) to bag and group, and anyone who works in a supermarket knows about cross contamination.

I'm sorry your DD and you had words about it....she might have felt a bit uncomfortable with you saying something....but better you say something and risk embarrassing her than have you all end up ill because of a checkout operators incompetence.