+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default deep cuts, when to go to hospital??

my ds fell over and split his chin, its about an inch long, it was bleeding lots at first, but has stopped now.. at what point do u go to hospital??

Sent from my T3020 using BubHub

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I usually give our GP a call and get some advice over the phone, our local pharmacist is also pretty helpful.

Maybe call 13 HEALTH?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It depends. Do the edges of the wound come together easily? Would a few steri strips hold it together well. If they would if it was me I would give it a good clean and do this. If your at all concerned ring your gp first, some are well equipt to deal with injuries and others not so much. They may suggest poping to your local ed instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If the edges don't go together when it stops bleeding and the cut is on the face or the hands, Id take mine to get a stitch or have it looked at. Not so much because they will bleed out, but some times a single stitch is needed to make it heal faster and have no scar left there. I remember my sister cut her chin and it just kept splitting back open even though it seemed fine after it stopped bleeding, it was just in a bad spot, so she ended up needing a stitch anyway. So yeah, face and hands, and I would have someone look at it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As it's a cut on the face I'd go to the GP or your local emergency today and see if it needs gluing/stitching/steristrips to put it back together. Don't wait til tomorrow (or even that long tonight) as it won't be possible easily fix if healing has already started.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes i agree, tho i would head to a local GP that does minor ED jobs like this. Just to avoid the wait at our local ED...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I agree GP or pop into a chemist and get a pharmacist to take a look at it & recommend whether it needs stitching/gluing or something. A non-bleeding wound would be a LONG wait in a hospital, because triage-wise its low priority, so you'd be there for ages.

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Any facial wound or wound in a 'cosmetic' area should be seen ASAP by a doctor to stitch or glue a wound together to minimize the risk of obvious scarring.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have done both. A few months back took son to ed and had head glued( i held wound together from time of accident till they glued). Then a month later he split his knee, did same and held wound together, then applied steri strips. Next day took him to gp to see if he needed any stitching and gp said nope I had done a perfect job at closing wound...now barely a scar there.

Last night the little darling cut his finger open , held wound together stopped bleeding and again steri stripped and it is fine.(didn't want to head to hospital as we were there the other night for son's leg...BOYS?????)

Lesson for me is always have steri strips on hand when you have a son.
    Honestly I have to agree with others though that head I would usually head to ED and if at a reasonable time to GP for nurse to have a look.

Hope he is ok x

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for the advice, he is doing well! i didnt end up going to hospital because it stopped bleeding and it has closed up very well. ds is almost 3 and is a big boy, he wouldnt let me look at it so i could just imagine the havoc we would cause at the hospital.. he's not very 'cooprative' lol

Sent from my T3020 using BubHub