+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    we have a desent wage and still struggle with bills .But my main problem is my hubby wont stick to any budget i do and he just spends spends and spends so i need help fixing him more then the other right now any ideas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can I please join my aim is to pay off our credit card within the next year and half as well as building up our emergency fund

If you go to Gail vaz oxlade website she has an awesome free excel budget work sheet where you put in how much you earn and all your bills and it tells you how much you have left over. Then allocate this money to debate repayments and savings.

Also if you look around her website it has great tips for saving and debt repayment and all the info is free can you tell she's my new favourite person lol. But seriously I haven't touched the credit card since I started 4 months ago and the first time in years we have savings

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amiee View Post
    If you go to Gail vaz oxlade website she has an awesome free excel budget work sheet where you put in how much you earn and all your bills and it tells you how much you have left over. Then allocate this money to debate repayments and savings.
    I think that may be the problem for a lot of us, there is nothing left over

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummyof9kids View Post
    we have a desent wage and still struggle with bills .But my main problem is my hubby wont stick to any budget i do and he just spends spends and spends so i need help fixing him more then the other right now any ideas.
    If he can not be responsible empty his bank account

Thanks
    Reviews
    2012 is my year to learn how to save. We are both terrible spenders and continue to live week to week even though we do pretty well between us.

I decided when doing a fortnightly budget that I need to be realistic so have included allowances for things like clothes for me ($50/m) beer for DH (a case a f/n) and takeaway (once a week). I think I have failed in the past because I think too big with savings and don't give us enough to live off and still enjoy life.

I have also added up all the big bills and divided it into weeks so I know how much to put away each time we get paid.

We always seem to get $1000 worth of bills at once and despite the fact they come at the same time every year/quarter, I'm still taken by surprise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ohdear View Post
    I think that may be the problem for a lot of us, there is nothing left over
    Then your spending more than your earning so you need to either cut back on expenses or bring in more income.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dh gets paid monthly I get paid fortnightly. I have 3 accounts, an everyday expenses account, a mortgage account which the house payment is debited from and an account where insurances, direct debits come out of. I transfer the relevant money from dh's pay as soon as its in the bank. I transfer so much from dh's pay to an interest earning account and this money is then used for when unexpected bills come in such as having to replace a new aircon like we did last week. With my pay I pay a certain amount to the 2 credit cards which saves interest. The remainder in the bank is used for utilities and shopping.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have 3 bank accounts, as I get paid fortnightly. 1 is savings. 1 in reserved for the 2nd week of the fortnight and 1 is linked to a card (the other two aren't accessible except online)

That way for me to go over budget I have to go online and transfer out money into my card account, so I can't 'accidentally' spend too much money.

That's my only tip.

It is frustrating. I am grateful everything is paid for, rent, bills, food, we don't go without, but I can't just buy things for baby as I want them, we've pretty much planned out the next 6 weeks (3 pays) before she's due to buy our last few things for her. Though I DO have savings, it's pretty much decimated after Christmas. Though I can replenish it when the BB comes in, so I *could* just spend that on things for baby. But I get very anxious without a decent safety net in savings. And my savings are as low as I'm comfortable. I prefer to have twice what's in there (I have a fortnights living expenses worth, I prefer to have a month - particularly as DF just started a new job, we have less security than we did on c'link)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subscribing! We do pretty well with our budgeting and have no debt, but with another baby on the way and a single income for the foreseeable future things are always a bit tricky. Always on the lookout for more tips!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amiee View Post
    Then your spending more than your earning so you need to either cut back on expenses or bring in more income.
    that obvious but easier said than done, I wish finding work was just a click of the fingers and done

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ohdear For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (17-01-2012)