+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    we are in the middle of the same process at the moment...living fortnight to fortnight, trying to pay out our debts (crazy 3 years of medical costs) and maybe get a small amount of savings!

Each month we think...ok, we'll have a few hundred left to save...but nope, another bill comes in and eats it...or the car needs a service/tyres and this month it is school books and uniforms/shoes that will take that extra few hundred away (and yes, i do use the uniform pool etc).

I guess i expected it to be easier...we clear about $90k between us and are still living fortnight to fortnight and with less (no) money for just fun stuff. We don't smoke, rarely drink, takeaway once a month or so...dh takes left overs for work lunches. I cannot see it improving till i graduate uni and start teaching...and that is 4 years away!

I feel like a hamster in a wheel most weeks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our credit card bill is $6000. Its my dirty little secret. Until this last year I've always been a pay it in full each month kind of gal and it hugely embarrasses me that its now a debt. But we had a heap of unexpected medical bills and it just kept building... And building. Til Eep!

I'm also determined to get rid of it by the end of the year. Its my goal this year. Hence why I'm trying to save and was so disappointed when the bills arrived this week. I cut mine up too. Once its paid, its gone!

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    Our credit card bill is $6000. Its my dirty little secret. Until this last year I've always been a pay it in full each month kind of gal and it hugely embarrasses me that its now a debt. But we had a heap of unexpected medical bills and it just kept building... And building. Til Eep!

I'm also determined to get rid of it by the end of the year. Its my goal this year. Hence why I'm trying to save and was so disappointed when the bills arrived this week. I cut mine up too. Once its paid, its gone!
    Its annoying isn't it!!

I was going to put $600 on it for Jan, but then our septic tank was overflowing and needed cleaning ($340) and DH axle on his work trailor broke ($350) so that took that money and some and now I haven't put anything on the bl00dy thing this month. They rang me too yesterday cos its overdue. I am waiting for DH to get paid - he had 2 wks off over xmas so hasn't had any income during that time.

Right now I have to pay (will pay when DH's wage comes in)
    -power $355
    -both mobiles, internet, home phone $250ish i think?
    -my rego
    -Credit card

my wage covers our mortgage and then the spare money for petrol, food etc - so there hasn't been any spare over xmas once all that happened.

oh well, just breathe - its all any of us can do and be grateful we have jobs to start with I spose!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    Oh that could be helpful for me! How does that work? Do they have access to your bank accounts or do you put x amount into another account for them or something? Are they expensive?

Mind you, I don't have the stresses that you have so I should probably just suck it up and stop winging. It so hard though at times.
    I'll pm you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TripleTime For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    It's just insane, it stresses me out and I try to be calm and take it one week at time but holy moly I feel like we are drowning. I remember being younger and having heaps less money and also heaps less expenses. We just rented a apartment in the city and had no cars. We basically had rent, food and day to day expenses.

Now, I feel like the more we push ourselves to achieve more the worse of we tend to be. I feel like you reach a level where as the working class your income increases margianlly while your expenses increase expedenically.

Does anyone else feel like this?
    I look back when we were younger and wonder how we did it.

I remember my last year at uni, I didn't work and DH (then DF) supported us both on $48,000 before tax. We managed to save for our wedding on that wage too.

Now (well, before I went on maternity leave) we earn 3x that amount combined and things aren't that much easier. I put it down to now that we're grown up we want a lot more things, or think we need more things than we did when we were younger or rather feel that we should have them now we're older (e.g. mobile phones with plans, PHI, contents insurance). Oh and moving to a more expensive city.

Hope things improve for you Buttoneska! I hate bills and I can't even share it with my DH otherwise he stresses about finances and will resist buying the smallest thing (even if we can afford it).

Thanks
    Reviews
    While this won't cut your costs as such, it should help (it helped me out a lot). contact your gas/electricity company and ask to set up a fortnightly repayment. i pay my gas and electricity fortnightly ($30 gas and $49 elec). while the cost is generally still the same, i find it much easier to pay $80 a fortnight than it is to pay a big bill at the end of each quarter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I try not to think about bills... At the moment it feels like we're being attacked with bill after bill with no break at all. It's stressing me out way too much. I just wish there was a bill fairy who could just do it all for me (with fairy money, not my money). Our recent electricity bill was massive compared to the last quarter- about $100 more than the previous. Really weird because in the previous quarter we used the heater and in quarter just gone we've used no heater, air con, dryer but still the bill is larger... Blah.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrstuilawa View Post
    While this won't cut your costs as such, it should help (it helped me out a lot). contact your gas/electricity company and ask to set up a fortnightly repayment. i pay my gas and electricity fortnightly ($30 gas and $49 elec). while the cost is generally still the same, i find it much easier to pay $80 a fortnight than it is to pay a big bill at the end of each quarter.
    This is what we do too now, after receiving several massive power bills.

We put $38 towards our power bill each week, $16 towards the phone etc so that our account is small (or in credit) by the time we get an invoice. I also used the budget planner on the money smart website to work out how much we needed to allocate to annual bills each week and put it in a separate account.

I know what you mean though - it's so hard to get ahead. I always feel like all it takes is one unexpected expense (busted hot water cylinder, car problems etc) for the budget to go out the window.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can sympathise - Hate bills & being preggers there just seems more than normal. Rates ate killer also!!!

Just wanted to share 2 websites that have been helpful for us:
    www.simplesavings.com.au

FB- SAHM the secret to living on one wage. (I forget their webpage addy)

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app - sorry for typos :-/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can you find a bulk-billing GP? Some clinics/practitioners only bulk-bill concession card holders, but others will bulk bill anybody who holds a Medicare card- ie, all Aust. citizens. Just depends on the place or the individual doctor. Ask around.

Your situation sounds pretty normal for business owners and mortgage holders, early days... I am neither, but have many friends/acquaintances in similar positions. I guess if you have managed to get into a situation where you could afford to take those risks in the first place, you're doing better than many others...BUT I recognise it's not easy. It's like me choosing to live in the city and paying a million dollars in rent when I *could* move to the western suburbs but would be spending so much in petrol and be so far from work & study opportunities, it would hardly be worth it at this stage of my life.

Just got to keep this mantra in mind..."Short-term pain for long-term gain." Helps me.