+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Symphysis pubis dysfunction and labour

Mine is back with my 2nd pregnancy At present I can stand for about 3 mins

I had to have a C sec for my no 1 but am going to try vaginal this time

Anyone got any stories about labouring with SPD- I am concerned I may have to labour lying down which surely isn't good

Either that or the labour pain will hide the SPD but that worries me - what damage could I be doing!?
    Last edited by clucky77; 12-01-2012 at 23:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I suffered terribly with my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies with SPD, but honestly once I was labour, I didn't give it a second thought. I know when you're pregnant and have it, squatting and opening your legs wide/apart is extremely painful, however for some reason it didn't bother me in labour and birth. I guess the pain of labour over-rode it. I kept as active as I could in both pregnancies, with one I did pre natal Yoga and the teacher was mindful of the SPD, so there were a few things I couldn't do and in the other pregnancy I did aqua natal classes which were heavenly with the SPD. I found a combination of the water and weightlessness helped a lot, but again, there were certain exercises I just physically couldn't do because of the pain.

In actual labour I remained quite active and gave birth vaginally without a second thought to the SPD! But, each and everyone of us is different, so if you're really worried, I would speak with the ante natal physio first and guage some help/info from them on what they suggest would be good for you to adopt in labour in terms of positions and an active labour (if that is what you're seeking).

All the best, SPD is the pits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Big, big hugs to you, SPD is rotten!

I had it second time around (so far so good this time around) and i had a natural labour. Up until i went into labour, i had pain, but the second i got that first contraction, i felt no SPD pain, and my mobility was improved. Like Uniquey, i had an active labour. Moving around helped alot. My midwife informed me that labouring and birthing naturally (rather than a c-sect) was better for an SPD sufferer as recovery time was faster. After giving birth vaginally, you can usually be up and about as soon as you're comfortable, whereas with a c-sect you are somewhat bound to be in bed until your legs feel ok. After the birth, i found i had some niggles of SPD related pain, but it really wasn't too bad, i didn't have an almost 9pd baby bouncing on my cervix by then , my pelvis was back to normal within a few weeks. I should also add, i had a water birth, which was also ace because of the buoyancy, i didn't need to put any weight on my pelvis that i didn't have to. Though i was walking/rocking up until about 10 minutes before pushing in the water.

Are you able to chat to a physio? They can give you some great exercises to do to help you feel a bit more comfortable. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks - yes have seen physio but really, same as last pregnancy, that didn't help that much --- obviously doing lots of pilates and have the band and watch my movements, but apart from that there's not really much a physio can do for me. I guess it could be worse if I wasn't doing all of that, but doesn't seem to be getting any better. I LOVE swimming atm which I usually hate, but with a 2,5 year old it's hard to get to the pool

I did have ultrasound after my first baby was born and that seemed to help clear it up but again niggling pain even 2 years later when I opened legs too wide.

Good news about labour though- I had to have a C sec with my 1st but hoping for natural this time. Was just really worried it would stuff my pelvis up for good! But seems you have both not found that to be the case so that's great

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is my 5th pregnancy with SPD now, and like the others have said the minute labour started the SPD pain went out the window and it didn't make an impact on my mobility during labour or birth positions.

The physio told me that after birth when the hormones have settled the symphisis goes back to normal and should provide support as usual. My second baby was big and caused a permanent separation of my symphisis, it should be only millimetres apart, but mine has a finger width separation, which isn't good! I have found though that even with that separation I have little discomfort after birth. The pain at the moment is a different story, and I'm hoping with 19weeks to go that it just slows down a bit or I won't be able to walk at all by the end!