+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh also, I had just come from a spray tan session before meeting with the priest for DS2s baptism hahaha. I was orange and was wearing the tiniest dress possible, and for DS1s baptism I remember actually directly swearing in conversation while speaking to the priest I may have actually said OMFG bahahah.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefooted View Post
    It Wouldn't Surprise me, A friend can't get her daughter Baptised Catholic cause of something her mother did in the 50's or 60's at a Catholic School.

They also couldn't get her into a Catholic school for the same reason.
    I have never heard of that before.

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I have never heard of that before.
    It may be that they aren't thinking to try and enroll/baptise her places the grandmother hadn't been. But I Know that there were a couple of families at my Public H/S Who were only there cause other family member had miss behaved in Catholic schools, not necessarily the same ones too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd think it was blatant discrimination TBH.
    The only requirement is that one of the parents is baptised Catholic (I think?) and I know at least 1 of the godparents has to be baptised Catholic.

Anything else shouldn't matter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    In my experience that isn't the case. If you approach a diocese with a request for any sacrament, one of the priests will provide the service. OP, you should be just fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we had DS baptized one of our local churches which I contacted first told me that we needed to be regular attending members for the priest to consider baptizing DS, I didn't even mention that we weren't married as they seemed a little blunt and rude.

I called another parish in our area, we had to have a meeting with the priest just to cover the bases of why we wanted DS baptized and to discuss our beliefs where DF actually said he wasn't sure he believes anything but "wanted to cover the bases" lol. Our priest was lovely, of course mentioned the getting married thing but aside from that was really helpful and was more about letting us know what baptism was and what the service held.

If one church is rude, just go to another. I couldn't believe the difference between the two parishes which are all of 2km apart..

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You know, when I was a baby, because I was a 'ba$tard' and unbaptised, my Catholic grandfather would not allow me in his house, and my Mum simply did it herself, in the bathtub So because I was baptised I was allowed in his house, not sure how he managed with my ba$tardry!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As PP have said most priests will be fine but if not call around. I'm not catholic at all but through a community organization that I used to be involved in I met a very funky and compassionate catholic priest so when DH and I decided to get married he was our logical choice. He did not care that I wasn't catholic or that we both lived out of parish. He even apologized for the certificate of dispensation process. He was the logical choice for baptizing DS and did not even ask if the godparents we had chosen were catholic.

But he's a younger priest (mid 40s). The two priests in our parish are a lot older and old school so I've had friends be given a hard time about baptizing their kids late (they were 2 and 4), another wanted proof that at least one godparent was catholic (DH who was the godfather had to go back to his old church to get a copy of his confirmation certificate). So if the priest makes you uncomfortable, try another church. I doubt though they will turn you away, head count is pretty low these days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My in laws made a deal with their church, with the assistance of DH's grandfather. That if they got married at their church, they will baptize my DH. They agreed. DH was baptized, and his parents were married there 3 months later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tasha74 View Post
    I want to get DS baptised in a Catholic Church but am terrified to organise it.

My older 3 children were all baptised in a Catholic Church and the priest always let it be known he wasn't too impressed that i wasn't married..

Now i have a 4th child... to somebody else... i'm still not married and would be going to a different church.

I called a few months ago and spoke to a lady in the office and when i mentioned it wasn't my first baby and i hadn't been to that church she said i would need to organise an appointment with the priest and i never called back!

Somebody told me that the priest can refuse to do it.. does anybody know if this is true?
    At my church yes, the priest can decide what he likes pretty much. Eg he has a strict 1 boy one girl godparent policy he won't allow you to deviate from.

As everyone has said the appointment is standard if youre not a regular, but I'm sure if you talk to him and explain why you want your child a catholic he will be okay.

Short and sweet because I sent this from my iPhone.
    Last edited by bebehvala; 13-01-2012 at 06:25.