+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all, I was tested for gestational diabetes which came back positive so now i'm monitering my sugar levels but am confused as all of my levels are around 4.4 even after I have ate, this morning it was 3.4. I dont have another appointment until next Tuesday so i'm being impatient as i thought my levels would be high considering i have gestational diabetes. I even had chocolate and ice cream last night and 2 hrs later my result was 4.2.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated. :-D

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    you might have to give the scale as in mM/L etc

I have a score of 6 and I dont have GD. so thats why I'm confused. My blood glucose was 6 mM/L after 1 hr after ingesting 50g/L of glucose.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

mandi85  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    you might have to give the scale as in mM/L etc

I have a score of 6 and I dont have GD. so thats why I'm confused. My blood glucose was 6 mM/L after 1 hr after ingesting 50g/L of glucose.
    oops sorry my actual gtt test came back as 8.4 mM/L after the 75ml so I know that's high and that's why I've been told I have gestational diabetes but i'm confused as all my monitoring tests that I do 4 times a day are coming back really low, almost hypoglycaemic low even though I've eaten a bit of carbs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mandi85 View Post
    Hi all, I was tested for gestational diabetes which came back positive so now i'm monitering my sugar levels but am confused as all of my levels are around 4.4 even after I have ate, this morning it was 3.4. I dont have another appointment until next Tuesday so i'm being impatient as i thought my levels would be high considering i have gestational diabetes. I even had chocolate and ice cream last night and 2 hrs later my result was 4.2.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated. :-D
    Those levels are good certainly not hypo. If u are worried at all call your diabetes educator/nurse/ endocrinologist. Your levels are probably this good after eating because u ate a lower amount of carbs I'm assuming? Have u seen a dietician yet? Don't stress. It takes some getting used to.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jacobsmamma For This Useful Post:

mandi85  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi jacobsmamma, i had my appointment with the dietician this past Tuseday and everything she was saying i already did as i eat pretty healthy and exercise regularly. i actually ate alot of carbs yesterday and it was still really low thats why i was a little worried. It's all new to me so like you said it'll take some time to get use to but if the low amounts aren't anything to be worried about then i'm happy lol. Seem to get a little stressed out about all this stuff. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mandi85 View Post
    Hi jacobsmamma, i had my appointment with the dietician this past Tuseday and everything she was saying i already did as i eat pretty healthy and exercise regularly. i actually ate alot of carbs yesterday and it was still really low thats why i was a little worried. It's all new to me so like you said it'll take some time to get use to but if the low amounts aren't anything to be worried about then i'm happy lol. Seem to get a little stressed out about all this stuff. Thanks
    Did she talk to u about a certain amount of 'servings' of carbs each meal? how many carbs are in a serving and how many serves to have at each meal and snack?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jacobsmamma For This Useful Post:

mandi85  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah she did, Breakfast 2-3 serves, morning tea 1 serve, lunch 2-3 serves, afternoon tea 1 serve, dinner 2-3 serves and supper 1-2 serves. A serve being 15g. Even when i've been naughty and had an extra serve its still a low reading lol I try to stick to it most times.
    i've had these funny little turns a few times when i get all shaky, sweaty and dizzy so thats why i'm a little worried. maybe i'm getting over paranoid lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are u on insulin? I would call and check in with someone and let them know what's been happening. Especially if u are worried

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mandi, you could also test your 1 hour sugar. It might be that your 1 hours BSL is too high and therefore you drop low after 2 hours. It is important to get a really stable reading all through as when you drop low and don't feel well, you eat quick fixes to go back up.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicky2006 For This Useful Post:

mandi85  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you can maintain your GD with diet only its great!!! This will significantly reduce the intervention you will receive from your health care provider.

My Ob said that a fair few women pop up with a pos at the first test but at delivery only 6-8% still have GD.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

mandi85  (22-04-2012)