+ Reply to Thread
    amongst the gumtrees
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Carpel tunnel advice?

I hurt my wrist 18 months ago tryin to stop a heavy gate falling on my kids. I succeeded but now my wrist always hurts. I did nothing about it for about 10 months as the pain would come and go .as it got worse i spoke to a physio friend who suggested a misalignment which is similar to carpel tunnel and to see my chiropractor. He helped and i was pain free for 4 or so months .
    The pain has got increasingly worse over this week but my next appointment isn't until 23rd Jan so am needing advice to help ease the pain.
    Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

I have had carpal tunnel from about 28 weeks pregnant (I'm now 36 weeks) and I've been to two different physios.

First one did some ultrasound/heat therapy and gave me a wrist support band made out of that neoprene material. No improvement.

Second physio moulded a hard plastic wrist splint to my own arm/wrist/palm and told me to wear it to bed and during the day if it got really painful. That helped a lot!

The trick is not being able to flex your wrist apparently. It's got to stay as straight as possible.

I have seen wrist supports in the chemist that have a hard plastic or metal plate inside that keeps your wrist straight, the ones I've seen cost anywhere between $25 and $55.

I guess it depends on the type of injury as to whether heat or ice would provide relief. A friend of mine said that she used to dip her hands in a bowl of hot water for 10 min and them transfer to iced water for 10 min and then alternate a few more times for relief.

Hope that helps!