+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah I wouldn't go.

Just tell your friend that you can't now. It's not like you have signed a contract I always say yes to things on the spot and then later think "What was I thinking?!" Just make sure you give plenty of notice.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (12-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If you do go (under duress) just keep in mind that part of baby showers is the whole gathering around to watch the lady of honour open and coo over all her gifts. So I would imagine it would feel a tad akward/embarassing to be at that moment if you haven't gifted the host, but have participated in shower/eaten the food, drunk the drinks etc.

I'm by no means telling you to go (I personally wouldn't under the same cirumstances) and nor am I telling you to buy a gift if you do, but it is something to keep in mind in terms of baby showers and the whole gift part of the day.

I think your friend needs to go by herself, she's the invited guest and if 'she's so awkward and uncomfortable about going too, why is she bothering to go as well?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just get your friend to put both your name and hers on the gift she gets....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    thanks for the ideas
    i would never go and put a bad vibe on her event.. im not that evil.. just the awkwardness of the gift part is all i dont like about baby showers.

i spose if i cant bail i will just get something small and be done with it. learnt my lesson for next time saying yes without thinking!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Take a cake!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 2Bboys For This Useful Post:

heatherm  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean10 View Post
    Just get your friend to put both your name and hers on the gift she gets....
    This

Thanks
    Reviews
    So the problem isn't the baby shower (or baby showers in general), the preggers friend of the friend, or the fact that you don't think you'll see her again. Sounds like the problem is the pressure that your friend has put on you as she doesn't want to go alone and you cant/don't want to say no?

If you can't say no, buy some bath bubbles at the supermarket, put a smile on your face and go. You might surprise yourself, have some nice food and have a lot of attention on your bump too! Some of the best parties are the ones you are dreading. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went to a baby shower recently for my DH's cousins partner. I dont know her all that well but thought it was nice of her to invite me.

Anyway, I took a 3 pack of Mother Craft body suits and thank god I left before the presents were opened because according to the unborn baby's grandmother most of the presents were very expensive and way over the top for a baby shower, so my pack of body suits must have looked pitiful.

(if you do end up going and want an idea: Target had some gorgeous woollen pram blankets in striped pink, blue or green, that are about $10 which would be nice and once you take it out of the Target packaging it looks much more expensive).

But for the record.....If it was someone i didn't know, then I'd make an excuse and not go. Say you've got bad indigestion or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd get my friend to put your name on the card. Or give your friend $5 or $10 towards it and pretend like you're just paying for the food. Or re-gift something you got but don't want? I got a few things for DS that are the wrong size for the right season so I've started a re-gift bag that I'll use for gifts or give to charity at some point.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Penny88 For This Useful Post:

heatherm  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    make an excuse not to go if you really dont want to.
    or if you feel upfront tell your friend you dont want to go and wont be going.

personally if i felt like i had to go and i didnt know the person i would just get a small gift eg $10 teddy so i dont look bad for bringing nothing. this could also be bad if everyone else has spent lots on the person being showered.

good luck with your decision