+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Something else to keep in mind is to check you have the right sized flanges (sp?) (the part that cups your breast to express, as this can have a big effect on how much and how quickly you can pump.

Otherwise I found massaging and squeezing my breast whilst pumping helped a lot, similar to how I would if I was hand expressing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Penny88 For This Useful Post:

summastarlet  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to find i'd be pumping for a minute and all of a sudden get the letdown feeling and all of a sudden the bottle would be full. It would only happen if one boob was full cos baby didn't feed off that one 3 hours prior etc

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummy2MissA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I could usually only express about 15-20 ml at a time, I never had a problem with supply but it seems that my body only made enough milk as my DS needed as he thrived but I just couldn't ever produce much more. I used to be so jealous of those who had loads and loads of milk who could express off a whole bottle in one go! But meh, everyone's different.

I would just express these small amounts when I could and found that over a course of a few days I'd have enough for a full feed. I had all of these plans to have a freezer full of EBM but in the end I just had to plan ahead and express for a few days beforehand if I was planning on being away from DS for a feed.

Looking at a photo of DS never worked for me. This sounds a tad weird (and of course there is nothing sexual about BFing but out of context this sounds a little... off) but to get letdown I would have to really concentrate and visualise the feeling of DS' mouth on my nipple - the warmth of his mouth, the sounds he made, etc. If I was able to get letdown quite early in the expressing I often got a much better amount out, although it was never more than 30ml at most.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Grumpy bumpy that doesn't sound weird.

I think since u gave birth not long ago give yourself some time for it to happen. I don't think I started pumping for a few weeks. Of course it's good to have a supply in the freezer for when you want to go out etc but there's no rush cos I think it's not good to introduce bottle until a little later anyway (if u want to exclusively breastfeed)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummy2MissA For This Useful Post: