+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

Default Expressing...is there a knack?!

I have been trying to express using an electric breast pump just do DH can do a feed or 2 over the course of a day.

I do it for 20-30 minutes and am lucky to get 20-30ml. Feels like I'll never be able to get enough for 1 feed! I have tried expressing during and after feeding with same result.

Bub was born last Friday and I have been BFing with no drama and he doesn't seem to be going hungry do don't think it's my supply.

So what am I doing wrong? Any tips?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Is there any particular reason your expressing milk? If its to boost supply breast feeding on demand should do that for you - supply & demand & supply. I personally wouldnt express unless I had a good reason early on, because it might confuse your boobs and you wind up with painful over supply (happened to me, whoops! boobs got the message "theres not enough milk!!!" and so made more )

Though - tips:

Relax, take it slow, dont stress about how much there is coming out, look at bubby, or visualise breast feeding, the let down is a response to breast feeding, so you're breasts are probably not letting down because they 'know' there's no baby actually feeding. Try after a warm shower or bath. Or try expressing from one breast while feeding from the other?

Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

summastarlet  (12-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi!

My DH gives my DD one bottle a day of EBM. I enjoy the break and he enjoys the bonding. It took awhile for me to be able to express a good amount as well but it did increase over time. Some things that seem to have helped me:

* drinking plenty of water
    * sitting where i could see my baby while pumping or looking at photos of my baby while pumping.
    * staying relaxed
    * expressing straight after a warm shower or putting a warm face washer on my breast while expressing.

I am sure others will have lots of tips. Enjoy those newborn cuddles!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LilPetal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I can't get a lot of milk at all, if any, when expressing. No problem at all bfing though everyone's body's different

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CluckySC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CluckySC View Post
    Personally I can't get a lot of milk at all, if any, when expressing. No problem at all bfing though everyone's body's different
    Same!! I've just given up trying Oh well!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkiCuddles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Summa - Congrats on your baby! So exciting!

There is DEFINATELY a knack to expressing it is not easy! But I think you have been given some good advice, particularly about relaxing. I found I needed to be on my own with bub asleep and have no performance anxiety! I agree with boobycino that it may be a bit early to express and if you could wait a bit longer your supply/demand would probably be less likely to be affected by expressing.

Also 20/30 mls is not actually bad. If you could get that a couple of times a day, you would have a whole bottle. I don't think you will be able to do it all in one go to start with (especially if you are feeding bub at the same time). I think I used to skim some milk off (30mls or so before starting to feed), and then let bub have the rest.

Expressing was the best thing for me when DD was between about 2 - 6 months old. My DH fed her on a friday night - it was so nice having that guaranteed night of sleep!! (although I did still have to express). But as she got older she wouldn't take the bottle anymore and also was sleeping through the night so I didn't need to express.

I hope this helps a bit. Enjoy your bub!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitty10 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was a lousy expresser even with a hospital grade pump.

My mum said she was the same.

Seems like some boobies just don't like to give it up for a pump!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to felicia81 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found using the avent manual pump great. I have flat nipples and DS never attached. I expressed every feed for 2 months. Mornings I could express 260mls from my right boob. Left was no where near as much. Saying that drying my milk up was extremely painful.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to starla For This Useful Post:

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The knack is patience

Haha seriously though, I have found it helps to sit in a very quiet room and either look at DS2 to get letdown or look at a photo of him.

Here is a link from Dr Sears website called "19 tips for better pumping". And here are some great articles regarding pumping tips from Kellymom. This article is especially great, called "Pumping & Storing breastmilk", written by a LC.

HTH.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Thank you everyone! Might give it a bit more time before I express. Will definitely give all these tips a try though.