+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Self settling without crying - can it happen?

My 14 week old daughter has been self-settling for her daytime naps for about 2 weeks now. She's really good, only cries for about 5 minutes before drifting off, and it's not a really intense cry, more just a whinge.

I am just wondering, do babies ever get to a point where they don't cry to settle themselves to sleep? She's already a bit whingy and pretty tired when I put her down, could I be putting her down too late? Should I put her down when she's more awake?

Thanks
    Reviews
    From the start with my DD after a feed I would put her in her cot awake to go to sleep. (if it was nap time) she is now two and have Neva had an issue with going to bed.
    U could try a bit earlier, u just need to trial n error to find what works

Thanks
    Reviews
    HI Curlyhead21

My DS used to be a little ripper at self-settling....I would put him down, wrap him, dummy, glow-worm music, with ceiling fan on (it would mesmerise him!), and I would not hear boo from him. If I did, there was something wrong or I left it too late and he was over-tired. This has all stopped when he got 4 teeth all at once, but it can happen without any CC techniques.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My little dude is 9 weeks and if I catch him at the right time, he will go to bed and lay quietly then just go off to sleep with no crying. Other times he needs a bit of help, but it's possible!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Definitely possible - the only time my DS actually cries now when put to bed is if he's over-tired. In which case it's my fault for waiting too long. He's 4.5mths old

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by curlyhead21 View Post
    My 14 week old daughter has been self-settling for her daytime naps for about 2 weeks now. She's really good, only cries for about 5 minutes before drifting off, and it's not a really intense cry, more just a whinge.

I am just wondering, do babies ever get to a point where they don't cry to settle themselves to sleep? She's already a bit whingy and pretty tired when I put her down, could I be putting her down too late? Should I put her down when she's more awake?
    Yes they do! my DD is 16 MO now and hasn't cried in about 12 months. She knows her sleeping bag as a sleep cue and settles herself to sleep (as long as she's not over tired or not put to bed early). It's hard work initially but so good once they have it worked out. Best wishes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by curlyhead21 View Post

I wondered the same thing!!! DD is 5 months now, but she had a very rough first 3 months and I often wondered if she'd ever not cry at sleep time. Once we got her health on track and got tuned in to her tired signs it got heaps easier. She still grumbles a little when I wrap her/put her in her wrap-me-up but I think that's just her stubborn streak! As soon as I pop her in her cot and give her the dummy (which we only use for sleep so it's a sleep cue) she'll be calm. Doesn't mean she'll always go to sleep though, cheeky monkey!

Typically I just set her up like that, give her a kiss and leave the room. Usually it works

It will happen, babies are learning how all this works so they just need time and a little help.

ETA - I find that the earlier I catch the tired signs the easier it is to get her to settle. Often once she got whingy we'd already missed the window. Keep looking for early signs which at that age would be like clenched fists, jerky movements, breaking eye contact, frowning, yawning etc.
    Last edited by Cue; 12-01-2012 at 21:28.