+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Has anyone else had Epilepsy during Pregnancy?

Hey ladies (and of course men with any advice )I was wondering does anybody else have epilepsy/has had epilepsy during pregnancy?I have temporal lobe epilepsy. I'm lucky enough to only have complex partial seizures (that we're aware of, as nobody has seen me have one) and I don't fall down, but I always feel absolutely exhausted and pretty anxious/confused after them.I'm currently 17 weeks pregnant with Bub #2, and was wondering if there is a safe medication to take for epilepsy, or any other sort of remedy to prevent seizures while pregnant? I was on 800mg of epilim a day and 100mg of lamictal a day previous to this pregnancy, and in the past few months without the medication I've started having seizures again. Has anyone else had issues with epilepsy while pregnant? What did you do to prevent seizures? Or did you remain on medication?Thanks in advance
    Last edited by LimeGiraffe; 12-01-2012 at 11:16. Reason: typo :\

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi I have had 2 pregnancys on anti seizure drugs I found I had more seizures towards the end. Both my baby were vaginal births and had no problems

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi flying bison. I too have epilepsy & this is my 2nd pregnancy. With both my pregnancy's I've gone off meds (600mg epilim) and haven't had any problems. Do you have a neurologist you can talk too? Some meds are safer to take then others. My neuro advised me that taking over 1000 epilim is the worst for birth defects. There's risks with all of them but he gave me the impression lamotrigine is the safest. Are you taking extra folate? That also helps (I take 5mg daily plus preg vitamin) both my pregnancies haven't been planned so I was still taking my meds in the first 4 weeks. My first bub now 2.5 was born with a club foot (not related to meds) but otherwise healthy. Wishing you lots of good luck with your preg & health

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys

I do have a neuro that I see, but my next apt (that's the soonest I can get) is a month and a half away and he's the only neuro in the area that I live in. Having had a seizure I can't drive either so it makes it tricky to see another. I have a GP apt for my next pregnancy apt so I'll talk to my doctor then. Perhaps he can think of something.
    I've had 2 seizures this week and one last week and I just feel so cruddy afterwards. I'd forgotten how lousy you feel afterwards. I got them 2 or 3 times a week before we figured out what it was and I'd really like to prevent that from happening again especially through pregnancy!
    Thanks again! If I have any break-throughs or find anything amazing I'll let you know

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I have epilepsy (absentee seizures and partial complete) and i'm on lamictal. i am about 7 wks pregnant but discussed medications with my neurologist before attempting to get pregnant. i was told that lamictal was the safest drug to be on and the risks of being on it while being pregnant outweighed by the risks of me being off it all together.
    I had a few "funny spells" (not full seizures) just after i found out i was pregnant, i assume due to change in hormones but am fine now. i'm sure it'll change further on though.
    it's good to hear that someone has stayed on medication and had perfectly healthy children.

goodluck flyingbison, hope you get some info from your doctor

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks!! Same for you guys!!
    Yep i was told lamictogrine was safest too, but was going to wait until bub had a palette before taking them again. DS has a lot of medical commitments so we weren't keen to take any risks this time. Hopefully the doctor will say its safe to take them again soon as I'd also love to start driving again!

Again, best of luck for everyone's health in future! And thanks for your help

Sent from my Android using BubHub

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I do, grand mal and petite mal. I know they have different names, but I still call them that.

I conceived while on Tegretol, switched to Lamictal at 8 weeks {many grand mals on this}, and after the birth I switched to Epilim.

I'm due for the neurologist in less than a month to find out if he thinks we can conceive safely.
    I'm hoping to go on Keppra, I've heard it's the best new drug for pregnancy, with high success rates with seizures.

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristyk View Post
    Hi flying bison. I too have epilepsy & this is my 2nd pregnancy. With both my pregnancy's I've gone off meds (600mg epilim) and haven't had any problems. Do you have a neurologist you can talk too? Some meds are safer to take then others. My neuro advised me that taking over 1000 epilim is the worst for birth defects.
    Yep, I take 1000mgs twice a day. Definitely not safe to conceive on that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck tough love. I hope it all works out for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck Tough Love!! You poor thing. My DP has grand mals (a DNET tumour) and they're a very scary thing to witness, can't imagine they're a nice thing to experience especially when pregnant!