+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default So chores... how many, what age and do you actually stick to it?

So DD1 is 6 and I am really thinking she should be doing a few chores. I did none at all as a kid (ever...) so as an adult I really struggle with time management and actually getting everything done... So how many chores do you kids do? What age? And how do you get them to stick to it? In the morning we are always rushing for school and barely have time to brush teeth and hair, let alone make beds. And at night we usually end up getting to bed later than planned and having to miss out on stories, and that is without hanging up towels or doing dishes.

HELP!?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 17 months and for the last 3 months he has fed the chooks everyday. Obviously we go with him but it is his 'chore'.
    Its something I was doing everyday any way (and carrying him with) and when he started to walk he wanted to carry the bucket. I hope that while he is really enjoying doing it it will just become habit for him.
    Already when you say 'DS its time to feed the chickens' he goes and gets his bucket and goes to wait at the gate.

So yeh maybe try just getting them to help you do one or two things that you have to do anyway and once they get the habit/method letting them do it them selves

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We have a chart up on the wall

My kids at 6 could set/clear the table, make their lunches, make their breakfast, help write shopping lists, and tidy their bedrooms (they couldn't make their beds as they have Captains/Raise beds)

In the morning they;
    Set Table
    Make Breakfast
    Clear Table
    Get Dressed
    Pack School bag against a check list
    Feed Cat and Dog

In the arvo;
    Unpack School Bag
    Unpack and repack lunchbox & drinkbottle
    Do homework/reading
    Get school clothes and extras (library books etc) out for the next day
    Feed Cat/Dog
    Set Table
    Clear Table
    Unpack Dishwasher

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS1 follows a reward chart - His chores are simple such as
    -Make bed
    -Pick toys up
    -Put dirty clothes in the laundry hamper
    He turns 4 next month, so I don't expect much from him and I don't expect him to do things perfect, just so long as he is making an effort.
    DS2 is only 2, but he still has to help me make his bed and pick his toys up.
    I try getting them to help me from a young age with as much as possible, such as passing me clothes while i hang them on the line, helping me make beds, water the plants/veggies. They are all simple chores that they could help with from around 1.5yrs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Little one is only 3 and he helps tidy his toys, put things in rubbish bin and other small tasks.
    Last edited by Thunderstorm; 07-05-2012 at 17:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS is almost 2.5 he helps to:
    - Feed the dog (DH assists)
    - Cleans up his toys
    - Dirty cup / bowl / night dummies in sink
    - Pick up shoes / socks and take to bedroom
    - I give him a paper towel to wipe any light spills (then I go over it!)
    - Sometimes he will vaccumm with the mini dust buster while I vaccuum.
    - He likes to pass me clothes from the hamper as I load the washing machine and help take them out (front loader).

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD is five.

She has to make her own bed in the morning. She's in charge of keeping both her room and the toy room clean, all toys must be away before bed, anything on her bedroom floor must be away before bed. She has to feed and water her rats daily.
    Her shelf in the bathroom must be kept clean, her body towel has to be on the hook, her face cloth on the sink, her hand towel on the rack. Bath toys put in the bath basket when she gets out.

When she finishes a meal, scraps go in the bin, bowl is stacked next to the sink, bring her placemat to be wiped down, and put it back on the table.

She also has to keep her personal garden patch watered, but I do the weeding.

Most are just daily life and not rewarded, but with every chore she gets a sticker on a chart, with five stickers you get a dollar to spend as you please.
    By helping me with the house chores and cooking dinner, doing the washing and hanging on the clothesline, and any other needed chores, she can rack up five dollars a day if she puts her back into it.

Usually she decides to put it into her savings account, and when we go to the market once a month she can take her little wheeled shopping trolley and buy whatever she wants.
    She's saved up $30 since the start of November and this Sunday we're buying some new chicks for the backyard. Our two old hens have retired.

Hardest worked and richest kid on the block

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD1 who is 4.5 does the following.

makes her bed when she gets up
    puts dirty clothes in laundry
    packs toys away each evening
    collects the eggs from our chickens
    puts her own plates, cups to sink

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our 6yo has a few chores:
    Putting her dirty clothes in her basket all week and then on Saturday must bring them down to the laundry room.
    Keeping her room tidy - she doesn't do this one most of the time, so we nag her.
    Putting away the stuff after dinner - like sauce, butter, unused cutlery, drinks, pushing in the chairs
    Keeps the toy area clean - which, is hard because DD2 is a tornado.

We reward her with choosing dinner one night or buying a small toy. She doesn't get pocket money because it means nothing to her so we work on the dinner system mostly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD2 is 8 and she has a written list on the back of her bedroom door, to do before school in the morning, this includes packing her school bag and making sure she has her library bag on library day, feeding the cat & fish, cleaning bedroom floor - clothes in laundry basket etc, making her bed (which is just pulling the doona up), getting herself dressed & shoes on, cleaning her teeth and brush her hair (ready for me to tie up). Nothing too hard and really just part of getting ready for school but I found with a written list she would do things herself without me telling her what to do, once she has done everything on the list then she is ready for school and she can read or do whatever she likes until we are ready to leave the house.

Weekends and school holidays feeding the cat dried food, making sure the water bowl is always full and feeding the fish are still her job.

Other jobs around the house she has to do are bring the empty wheelie bin inside the gate after it has been emptied (some weeks this is before we leave for school and other weeks it is when we come home in the afternoon). When we come home in the afternoon she has to empty her school bag, lunch box and drink bottle on the kitchen bench and bag away in her room. She sets out the cutlery each night for dinner (although at the moment our 3 yr old has claimed this job!).

She has been doing most of these things since she was 5, setting the table probably started when she was around 3. There are not big jobs but little things that do helps things run a bit smoothly. She is also very good at helping us out, running to get things, holding things etc - our oldest is in a wheelchair and so DD2 often has to help out with things probably more so than other kids her age - she has been getting DD3 dressed for years and will take her to the toilet when needed.