+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing
    Looking at flying out @ 36 weeks to have bub2 (DD 22months)by Csection. But i haven't even met OB (31 weeks) yet so will have interesting chat (with him) next week.
    Leaving it as late as possible would be nice but medical care is limited (RFDS) as is grocery shopping & is sooo hot. Next week DH & i will do a "test run" so i can meet OB and see family But i'm looking at 2 flights with 2 different airlines one will be 5 hours. Buying DD a harness this trip to hopefully cut down on trouble in airport & DH will buy double pram when he's down for bub. Other than that looking at using a trolley at airports & hoping staff go...mm she's struggling & offer assistance. Or hoping someone at luggage carosel will help lift bag onto trolley than i should be ok?

What are you taking to keep DS entertained?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    2 flights, thats intense! Whereabouts are you Debbie?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarplumMummy View Post
    2 flights, thats intense! Whereabouts are you Debbie?
    Birdsville QLD So glad it's 2nd baby. Headed to Canberra then traveling back with DH & MIL.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dobbie For This Useful Post:

SugarplumMummy  (27-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah Birdsville would be interesting! DH grew up kinda out that way

Definately ask for help where you can. Im sure people will notice the belly and be obliging. We flew with our twins and newborn and lots of people were willing to help.

Thats interesting that they will push for a VBAC. I guess its probably easier for them than a csection, there must be a small window of opportunity to get a labouring woman on the RFDS too. When I got flown out with my twins they sent up NICU staff and the humidicribs on the plane in case they were born midflight Fortunately we made it safe and sound though.

My boys were 22 months when my daughter was born. At the stage they loved playdough, blocks, matchbox cars, painting and drawing (washable crayons!) duplo, ABC kids for the boring/painful/tired days. I used to also drag a chair outside to sit on and let them run around, give them paintbrushes with water to 'paint' outside, jumbo chalk, broom to sweep wth etc.
    If the rented place has a dryer Id pack the bare essentials. We had end of may babies so all my mat clothes were summer stuff for the NW so I pretty much wore 3 outfits consisting of trackies/jeans consistently and just did a small load of washing then straight into the dryer to make it easier on myself. Then just wondersuits/singlets/wraps for the bub and maybe 5-6 outfits for the toddler to give them a change of clothes if needed? Buy the nappies/wipes etc that you will need down there with your shopping and just carry the bare essentials until then. You could preorder your groceries so they arrive a few hours after you expect to as well?

Thanks
    Reviews
    "Ah Birdsville would be interesting! DH grew up kinda out that way

Definately ask for help where you can. Im sure people will notice the belly and be obliging. We flew with our twins and newborn and lots of people were willing to help."

Birdsville is interesting as far as adjusting to a fairly new move, heat & having a baby. But a really fantastic place to live. I'm very lucky will be staying with MIL a couple of weeks before bub2 & about to travel down with DH so i can leave some stuff this time (then return home for 2 or 3 weeks) before flying solo with DD. Thank you for advice on clothes & entertainment. Very glad i can do most of travel in 1 day then put my feet up Also packing for this trip with the idea that OB may forbid me to travel again prebirth eg Hospital bag packed ready for DH to bring down if necessary.

Sorry Sugarplum i really wasn't trying to highjack your thread Once again so glad you posted this

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dobbie For This Useful Post:

SugarplumMummy  (27-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did this with #2 I had DD2 at 38.5 weeks and flew 10 days before that into the city I was going to have the c-section. I flew by myself with DD1 who was 17.5 months old and I had bad psd so I was pretty scared but had no other options! DH had to be where he was until the day before my c-section so that he could take the 10 dyas off after it. One plus for me was that my family were in the city I was having a c-section in, but I was stilll doing everything myself really. I flew out at 10 days post c-section but that was flying with DH.

Tips are;
    Get permission to take a small umbrella stroller onto the flight or at least to the gate of the flight. This way you can strap in your toddler to avoid any issues and not worry about carrying him.

When everyone saw how pregnant I was with a toddler, everyone helped me out so that was a relief, don't be afraid to ask for help if it isn't offered though.

Ask for a spare seat next to you when booking in, hopefully they will have one so you don't have to worry so much about your toddler when you can hardly move around.

Can you hire a car for the week you are there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get permission to take a small umbrella stroller onto the flight or at least to the gate of the flight. This way you can strap in your toddler to avoid any issues and not worry about carrying him.

^^Thanks love this tip! I also considered a toddler harness but I don't really like them so...
    If the rented place has a dryer Id pack the bare essentials. We had end of may babies so all my mat clothes were summer stuff for the NW so I pretty much wore 3 outfits consisting of trackies/jeans consistently and just did a small load of washing then straight into the dryer to make it easier on myself. Then just wondersuits/singlets/wraps for the bub and maybe 5-6 outfits for the toddler to give them a change of clothes if needed? Buy the nappies/wipes etc that you will need down there with your shopping and just carry the bare essentials until then. You could preorder your groceries so they arrive a few hours after you expect to as well?

^^Great tips too, thanks!

Don't worry about hijacking the thread - it's great to know I'm not the only one!
    Don't think I

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry meant to say I don't think I will hire a car, don't think I will feel up to driving around too much.
    Am getting excited - just waiting on my date now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck girls. Look into coles online or delivery from the local store (you shop then they home deliver). will be easier than taking a taxi and getting it all back. You can do a big shop up and just a quick shop to grab the odd thing.

Bubbles are good to entertain as is matchbox cars (provided your child does not put things in their mouth). Playdoh is a winner. My Ds also used to love going on the bus. BEign from a country town he didn't see them much. You wouldn't even have to get off, just do a loop!

Definately look into local libraries for story time. They may even have a toy library so you can borrow toys and dvd's.