+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Travel, a toddler and # 2 Caesarean - tips appreciated

Am travelling to our nearest city to deliver baby number 2. Am considering several things...    
    One option is to fly down just toddler (32 months) and I (heavily pregnant) at 37.5 weeks.
    We will have to hire a place to stay and I would have to get toddler and myself from airport etc. Thought I could do an online shop and get groceries delivered? 

Ok so OB suggested to deliver at 38.5 weeks which is great however am going to ask OB if I can gt a clearance to fly down 1 week before at 37.5 weeks. I would rather be at home and comfy! 
    So questions - am I crazy to consider travelling solo at this time with toddler and having to entertain him?

Am I crazy to fly to city so late in pregnancy - possibility of going into labour etc?

We really have no family or friends we can call upon in the city so would appreciate any tips?
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you are flying on your own, who is looking after your toddler whilst you are having a c section? How far is the plane trip?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it depends on your toddler, but I think it would be very difficult, even just getting from the airport to the hotel not even taking into account being heavily pregnant.

I'd say it's doable, but if you can get someone to go with you I'd take that option!

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Enquire if the airline has a 'meet & assist' service, even if you have to pay for it it'll be worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks DH was needing to stay home to work right up until the birth. Was planning to fly in after me, maybe 2 days before the big day.
    My Mum will fly in to look after DS probably just before the birth too.
    yes I thought I was crazy lol.
    I will enquire with airline on the meet and assist which is a great idea. DH can pop me on the plane - it will just be getting DS and I from airport to the apartment (probably taxi) and then entertaining him for a week or so.
    The plane trip will be between 2 and 4 hours.

And it would be great if I had someone to meet me and help out but unfortunately we don't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Book a hotel with a pool. It's physical activity for him that won't strain you too much.

You can also ask the hotel to have someone meet you at the taxi and help you in, taxi driver should bring bags in too if asked and the hotel can bring your bags up.

Meet and assist takes you from check in to plane seat, then from plane seat to the taxi.

Don't do more than you have to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did the exact same thing when preg with DD3.. I got approval from my OB to fly at 37weeks(airline didnt even ask though) I only carried a lil carry bag with nappies, food etc for DD1&2(aged nearly 3 and 10.5months) I checked everything else in so I didn't travel to heavy but I was lucky as my mum was waiting for me at the other end.. Only prob was DH had to fly in only 2 days later as bub had to be delivered early..
    All worked out perfect in the end
    Goodluck

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    doesn't sound crazy to me! i like the idea of a hotel with a pool.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the tips! I will be staying in a self contained apartment (with a great garden for DS to play in) but no pool unfortunately. Was thinking I would try ad find a nearby community centre/classes like yoga or swimming to do with DS. Will have to bus it there though. Dont know if this is too ambitious?

The only probs I can see are physically collecting my bags when I reach the city airport. DS is really independent, will walk etc and loves to help me so thats a bonus too. The taxi driver should help me into the aprtment with the bags though?

Thanks again you boosted my confidence. I was beginning to get worried.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You must be in NW WA? Have a look into the PATS scheme if you havent already. If you are in one of the smaller, non maternity hospitals, you may be eligible for PATS assistance which will help you with the cost of accomodation/travel etc. You cant get it though if you are low risk and Hedland/karratha etc can cater for you but if there is a reason you need to be in Perth you should be eligble.

What you are planning sounds fine to me. The only thing I would be cautious of is flying out later and the risk of going into labour earlier. Is a VBAC possible for you if this happens? I know towns like Hedland are not a problem because worst case scenario they can deliver but I know my town put you straight on the RFDS if there is time which is unpleasent in labour and I would be concerned about someone being able to perform a csection! I can completely understand why you would want to wait as long as possible though, I was flown out at 29 weeks to Perth and had to sit around for the next 8 weeks waiting. It was awful. Theres no place like home!