+ Reply to Thread
    TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default If you have a child that stutters, can I ask a few questions?

Ds1, almost 3, has started to stutter. The stuttering started about a week ago.

Now, I've done some reading on the topic, but I have booked in to see a Speech Therapist to get a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

In the interim though, can I ask:

*At what age did your LO begin to stutter?
    *Was it a sudden or gradual change?
    *How long did the stuttering last/how long has your LO stuttered?
    *Can you identify a genetic link or do you think your child's stuttering is triggered/becomes worse after consuming certain foods?
    *If your child stuttered for some time, how long was it before you sought therapy?

Also, if you have anything else that might help, I'd be more than glad to hear about it.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi my DD is 3.5 and she has just be dx with a mild stutter and will be starting treatment this term in the public system.

We both noticed it when she was 2.5. TBH I was not too worried as it can be a developmental thing but DH was more concerned and I am fairly cautious. We discussed it at her 3 year check and the contacted the speech therapist about 2 mth later- we moved in between and there was a wait.

Apparently less than 1% of your words is "normal" she has 2.6%. They seem to treat it very seriously and there is a specific program that we will be following but as I haven't started yet it is hard to comment further.
    The SP also said that treatment is best about 4yo so there was no huge rush, hence we decided not to pay for private treatment.
    Sorry on phone so can't remember all questions but HTH feel free to ask more!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to oconky For This Useful Post:

TimTamsandTea  (11-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't know about a genetic link, but I do know when DD is excited or tired it is a lot worse.

Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to oconky For This Useful Post:

TimTamsandTea  (11-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks oconky. Anyone else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    *At what age did your LO begin to stutter?
    Hi there,DD1 began to stutter around the time she was 2 and a half years old.
    *Was it a sudden or gradual change?
    It was a gradual change.
    *How long did the stuttering last/how long has your LO stuttered?
    We saw a speech therapist (private) when she was around 3 and a half years old,and started therapy immediately.We are now at the end of therapy,and she no longer stutters,touchwood!
    *Can you identify a genetic link or do you think your child's stuttering is triggered/becomes worse after consuming certain foods?
    DH stutters occasionally,and I assume that that's where the genetic link comes from.I don't think it has anything to do with foods.When DD was undergoing therapy,her stutter used to peak when she was unwell/sick/had a cold/tired.
    *If your child stuttered for some time, how long was it before you sought therapy?
    As I mentioned earlier,she stuttered for around a year before we started therapy.She would have been too young to understand what we were doing before that.

If you think that your child has started to stutter,keep a record of it,with details like when he started to stutter,whether it went off in between/came back,were they blocks(where he got stuck on a sound and just couldn't get the word out) or repetitions.Speech therapists would need all these details when you start therapy.Mind you,it's a lot of hard work,for you and him,also,each child is different and may need different doses of therapy and treatment time also varies.Another important thing----check whether the therapist has a lot of experience in treating stutters,and is trained in the lidcombe program.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to loveshack For This Useful Post:

TimTamsandTea  (12-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks loveshack.
    I've armed myself with a notebook for observations as suggested. I'm also off to investigate the lidcombe program. Thanks for taking the time to reply - it's much appreciated