+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been lucky, my DS has always let me brush his teeth. It did start to get a bit tricky when he got an infection that made his gums swell. We left it till they calmed down and now I have to let him hold my toothbrush and play with that while I brush his teeth.

Sent from my phony phone

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'm a bit anal about teeth brushing - I'm petrified that they will have to get fillings (an experience I wouldn't wish on anyone) .. I dont want them to be scared of the dentist because as a child they had to get fillings done...

We have a deal (that has been done since they were little) .. I sing a song .. I get to brush during the phrases, and they are allowed to spit during the gaps ..

"Twinkle twinkle little star .. spit .. how I wonder what you are .. spit" etc ..

Jack used to freak if he didn't know when he could spit (and I never used much toothpaste, because if it leaked out of his mouth, he would freak then too) ..

I found that the music not only let him know when you spit, it also let him know when he would finish brushing ... once he let me do it for the song completely .. with no issues .. I changed songs (to a longer one )

now I get into trouble if I dont brush MY teeth properly they are teeth cleaning freaks too ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    OMG!!! OP, thank you for this thread!

My 22 month old *hates* teeth brushing time. In the morning I'm lucky if I can brush any of his teeth...night time's a little easier but still, there's no way I get even close to 2 minutes and he LOVES toothpaste so he likes swallow the damn stuff, not like I can stop him.

I guess this is why they get baby teeth and then adult teeth...

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkzy View Post
    OMG!!! OP, thank you for this thread!

My 22 month old *hates* teeth brushing time. In the morning I'm lucky if I can brush any of his teeth...night time's a little easier but still, there's no way I get even close to 2 minutes and he LOVES toothpaste so he likes swallow the damn stuff, not like I can stop him.

I guess this is why they get baby teeth and then adult teeth...
    you do need to be careful though - if they get any sort of infection in their baby teeth/ gums - it can affect the adult teeth .. even before they break through

its a battle .. but it DOES get better the older they get ..

as much fun as it is, you just need to persist ..ahh the joys of parenting ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh gee feel terrible for you. We started with a tooth brush as soon as teeth came through. My dd loves brushing teeth tg. Have you tried a reward system? We use an electric tooth brush, that is fun. If she isn't brushing end meals with a piece of apple. It is important to instill good personal hygiene early so it becomes habit and teeth don't rot. I would speak and take her to the local dentist so she has is told by someone else not you that it is a must do job. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My dentist said I should try to floss my 3yo's teeth. Hmn.

I let him do it, and if.necessary, I pin him down and do it. When all else fails, that's all I can do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh I am taking my 6-year-old to the dentist next week... she is very good so it is all okay. DD2 though I let her do her own teeth in the morning, and at night I literally have to sit on her, and hold her hands to brush them for all of 10 seconds before she wriggles free. BUT I have seen her open her mouth and lie there perfectly still for her Aunty so I KNOW she is just being difficult for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Brushing DD's teeth is no problem, it was for a while but not any more...I just don't know how to get her to spit.....She can spit - she spits out food and stuff all the time....but wont spit out her toothpaste....

Thanks
    Reviews
    OMG.....I'm hearing you. My DD is 3 now and as much as I try I am lucky to be able to brush her teeth for 30 seconds. For a while there when she was around 18 months old it was a nightly battle of tears and tantrums. Horrendous.

We are at the stage now of trying to teach her how to spit...yeah that's fun....NOT.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Glad we're not the only ones with this problem. DS is just over 2 and used to be fine with us brushing his teeth, but the last round of tonsillitis ruined all that and now he rarely let's us do it. So I let him do it himself and just keep asking him for Mummy or Daddy to help and if he lets us take it as a victory!

I've been wondering if an electric bush might break the cycle with the novelty factor, but not sure if he is too young? Anyone know what age they are OK to use?