+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Child support agency glitch

Hi all,
    I'm having a problem with centrelink sending me letters saying I have only 50% care of my two children when in fact I have 86% care. Nothing has changed in our circumstances and their father is as perplexed as I am. The consequences are that my family tax benefits has dropped by $150 a week, quite a substantial cecline that I soon will not be able to absorb as I have only a part time job.
    This happened last year as well and was apparently caused by a glitch in the Child Support Agency database. I suspect it has something to do with ATO but am not sure.
    After repeated phonecalls last year the problem was resolved and I was back paid money I was entitled to. I was warned by a centrelink staff that this problem would occur again and indeed it has.
    I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they are doing about it. I'm also wondering which MPs would be the right ones to approach to look into this problem as I can't find anything about it on the internet. The closest I can find to ATO glitches on the internet are recent news articles about payments not going through over christmas 2011. My problem is not about a payment not going through, it's about a glitch which resets my circumstance details. It's really frustrating and my savings are just about nil now which means that I will be really struggling to pay rent and childcare.
    Hope to hear from someone soon
    Jane Citizen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It will be your federal mp, whoever that is, but good luck with that. When I rang mine about a cs matter I was told to work more hours instead of expecting more money from her father. I was on 37 hours, with no possible way to increase that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Share a Book that's just appalling. I hope you went over their head and complained!

Thanks
    Reviews
    i left a message with local mp AND lodged a complaint with federal ombudsman mp phoned back (secretary did anyway), they spoke to centrelink and woohoo, next day it was confirmed that i would be receiving money on tuesday. strangely i will be receiving a stupidly large amount from last financial year, strange, as i did lodge a return and received a return. another mystery to solve. i also wrote an email to hank jongen, general manager of centrelink, as advised.
    one thing solved another thing to query!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jane42 For This Useful Post:

share a book  (24-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did your ex lodge his taxes?? sometimes the big amounts that come through are because they lodged their taxes and you are entitled to more

If you arent sure what the larger amount is though call them.. cause if you arent meant to receive it they will do all they can to get it back. At least if you call them and they say its not a stuff up.. if they later turn around and claim its a stuff up you will have the call you made to back you up (always take names and receipt numbers).

Same goes for any larger amount from centrelink/child support.. even if you know you are due to receive it.. call anyways and check the calculations.. cause if they do come back and claim any of it back.. and you appeal, there is a record of you calling (within the 14 days) to check what its all about and makes an appeal a tad more succesful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    It will be your federal mp, whoever that is, but good luck with that. When I rang mine about a cs matter I was told to work more hours instead of expecting more money from her father. I was on 37 hours, with no possible way to increase that.
    Hi I'm sorry to crash the thread, and have nothing constructive to say but I am just so shocked at how your MP treated you Share A Book!! What bloody century are they living in?!?!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    So my issue has been cleared up but with no explanation! Apparently I was overpaid and underpaid last year! On discovering this they've raised a debt and paid me back!!!! Now the debt has been waived. I don't believe any of it, I think they are as confused as I am.

there is something to be said for keeping a diary, for all the 'inconsequential' details, like.....when you separated, when you phoned Centrelink, who you spoke with, receipt number, when you phoned Child Support Agency, who you spoke with, receipt number...etc, etc, etc.