+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Those who have had D&C - after advice

Hi ladies,

I'm very new to this section and I don't know if a post has been previously done on this or not.

It was confirmed today that I had a 'missed' miscarriage...heartbreaking news. My buba was meant to be at 8 weeks but was only measuring 6wks & 2days.

Anyway, as I'm not bleeding or cramping, my OB/GYN said the best option would be to go for a D&C. So I'm going to head in tomorrow to have this done.

I just don't know what to expect, so would be appreciative of any advice offered. How did you feel afterwards? Did you experience any pain afterwards? How long did it take for you to recover? Is there anything you wish you had known about first??

Sorry for the 20 questions but I'm just really scared and don't know what I should expect. I have never been put under before either and thats what I'm most worried about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    No advice as I had a natural m/c but sending you lots & lots of hugs

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Me&Smooches For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi rocky27

I'm sorry for ur loss it's such a hard think to realize when u don't have any physical symptoms . I had a missed miscarriage in august last year I was 12 weeks baby had passed away the week before.

I had a very positive d&c ( well as it can be) my Docter and the hospital were so good. Once I got there in the morning they got me ready signed papers etc. I got there bout 730am about 930 I think they gave me a tablet to dilate the cervix as I was due to go theatre about an hour after.

I had never had general anesthetic before an was so scared but the nurses were lovely and kept me talking til I feel asleep.

The procedure only took about 15 -20 mins and working he hour I was waking up. The Docter was by my side and said everything had gone well.

I got taken back to a room with y partner where I was monitored for 4 hours then I could go home.

Pain wise I'm not exactly sure what they gave me but I stocked up on just panadol and nurofen. I started bleeding straight away which was minimal. I did remember feelin swollen in the bottom which they said is normal as they are around the area and can it. I kept up panadol and nurofen for 2 days as I didn't wanna feel pain and I was fine. I think I bleed for about a week.

I ovulated 2 weeks after and 2 weeks after that I got my period again. Now here I am 12 weeks pregnant again.

So feel free to ask any questions or pm me it's such a hard thing to go through

Thinking of u xoxoxo

5. The Following User Says Thank You to becnbubs For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, so sorry for your loss

I have had 2 missed misscarriages and both times had a D&C and in terms of what to expect its a very straight forward procedure. I arrived at the hospital and was taken to a private room in one of the wards (we did go private so not sure if thats protocol in a public hospital). Everyone was very kind and caring my OB came and saw me before I went to theatre in terms of the procedure it was over very quickly and I woke up with period type pain and was given pain relief, bleeding was minimal. I will be honest in saying that phyically the procedure was nothing but emotionally it was awful. As soon as I woke from the operation it hit me head on that the preganacy was over, the baby was really gone and I pretty much woke up and started crying instantly, I also cried as they put me to sleep as I knew the reality of what was going to happen. Again the staff were very kind and very caring but it was emotionally very painful. I hope this doesn't put you off I just wanted to be really honest in saying its not an easy thing to go through and it will take you and your partner time to heal so be kind to yourselves. I hope everything goes well for you tommorrow

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lovelymum For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi rocky.
    Big hugs for what you are going through. I had a missed miscarriage in October at around the same as you. I was 9 weeks but baby had stopped growing at 7 weeks. I also had no pain or anything and had a d &c. I was nervous about having a general and asked for some anti nausea as I didn't want that feeling afterwards. They were happy to give me some. The anaethetist also gave me a mild sedative beforehand because I was so upset. Which was good actually. The procedure is quick as the PP said. I didn't get a tablet to dilate my cervix. It was pretty much in and out. As soon as I woke up I was taken back to recovery where as long as I had some food etc they let me go home. I was shocked when I saw the betadine all over my legs-sorry if TMI. But that was scary because at first I thought it was blood. I wished I had known about that beforehand. I had bleeding but it was mild and no pain that was bad enough to take anything. I still was experiencing some pregnancy symptoms for about a week with bloating etc which was upsetting. I took a week off work which helped to just rest as I was an emotional wreck. After waking up from the general I just cried and cried. Physically I was fine.
    Anyway, that's sort if how it went for me. Physically was quite quick recovery, emotionally is different. And I think that's different for everybody. Take your time and rest. You will be okay and it's quite quick everything at the hospital. Tell them you are nervous and don't be afraid to ask for what you need or have everything explained to you if that helps you feel better too. Feel free to PM if you need to talk. I found chatting on here and talking to others really helped me big hugs, I'm so sorry for you and im sure all will go fine tomorrow.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Big, big hugs, tomorrow will be a tough day. I'm sorry for your loss

My missed m/c and d&c were a few years ago now, but thought I'd share my experience.

Like the others have said, once I arrived, things were pretty straightforward. Forms, change into gown, waiting etc.

My team/staff were also all really lovely and reassuring. Next thing I know, it was all over.

I was wheeled back to my room to rest. I spent most of that time sleeping. I felt quite woozy if I tried to get up etc. After 4-5hrs DH was there to take me home.

The next day, physically I was ok. A bit sore and bleeding a bit. Emotionally, not too bad, but I just didn't want to talk to anyone. The second day after I was feeling much better and had spoken to my boss as I was happy to return to work the next day. However, that night I developed a fever. A phonecall to my OB in the morning = a script being faxed to my local chemist, strong ABs and two more days off work.

Once you get home, just relax, take some time for you and DH, but also keep an eye on things.

Take care

Ac

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babycart For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    i don't want to give you false hope, but 8 weeks measuring 6w2d? Are they certain bubs has passed?

If they are, my two d&c's were fairly positive, although i sometimes wish i could have delivered the twins, like it would somehow give thier conception more meaning (complex loss- wanted to donate them to science). Have never regretted my first d&c, from my first loss though.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies,

Thank-you so much for your replies, it was really helpful to know what to expect prior to going in...such a scary thing when you don't really understand what to expect.

We did the D&C yesterday. I had to pop into the Doctor's Office at 8.00am in the morning to do some paperwork. As it was her surgery day, there were no patients in there which was good. They also gave me two tablets to take internally as soon as I got home to soften the cervix & make it easier to do the procedure.

I went home & took the tablets. About 20mins later I got cramps, which increased quite significantly and got fairly painful during the day. My good friend drove me to the Hospital (as DH was catching a flight back from Brisbane to come home). My friend sat with me for a few hours before I went in and I was so grateful to her to have a distraction. There were four other ladies in front of me unfortunatley all having the same procedure done. I got taken in around 4pm. Was so scared at this point. The Doctor came and had a chat to me and put my mind at ease. All the staff were wonderful & really sympathetic. They were great.

All gowned up, tummy was really cramping & got light spotting. They got me to walk into the surgery ward and put a cap & booties on...must have been a good look! I was popped on a bed & nurses came & did obs. The anethetist (prob spelt so wrong) came and had a chat to me. She popped a canular in my left wrist & I started feeling light headed straight away. They wheeled me in to the surgery room & asked me to jump over to another bed. This is all I can remember apart from waking up later. Stayed in recovery for 2 hours. DH was there when I woke up & 2 hours later I was alowed to go home. Have cramping & light bleeding.

This morning I woke up and was so emotional. I just burst into tears but was thankful that DH was home & I had that support.

Thanks again girls for all your replies. It really did help to know what to expect & I appreciate it so much.

Izy, unfortunately I am sure that bub had passed. Trust me, the scans did not look at all like they were meant to for the dates that I was and def no hearbeat there at all. If I had any doubts, there would be no way I would consent to the procedure. Further, I also started getting bad cramping after that doctors appt, so things seemed like they were starting to happen anyway. Thanks for your reply though, is appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi rocky. Was wondering how you were doing after yesterday. It seems as though things went smoothly for you. It's an awful thing to go through and I hope that each new day is less hurtful and painful. Take care of yourself, do something nice that you enjoy to help relax (massage/pedicure/manicure/glass of wine!). So sorry for all you've gone through. Big hugs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Tamtam, I'm doing ok, thanks for asking. Very emotional & still very painful but got through it well. The D&C was alot less scary then I thought it would be. Very fast too. Still cramping but apart from that, physically I'm fine. It's such a crappy thing for anyone to go through & I wish that no one ever had too. My doctor helped a bit by telling me that it often happens early on when there is an abnormality. I have a follow up appt on the 23rd & so will talk about starting again & time frames to do so etc. I'm going to be scared next time but really want to try as soon as we can. DH has been wonderful looking after me.

I had my first coffee for the first time in ages today! I hadn't been able to stomach it due to bad morning sickness, so I really enjoyed a good cuppa this morning.

Does anybody know how long it takes for HCG to leave the system??

This is prob TMI but my breasts are becoming really sore & I suspect this may be due to hormone levels lowering/leaving?

Also, thank-you so much for the heads up about the betadine, I too had that & got a bit of a shock but then remembered what you had written.