+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Smile Little Man with Eczema... HELP!

Hey guys,

I'm completely new to this site and have no idea what I'm doing so hopefully this ends up where its supposed to be, and apologies if it doesn't.

I have 2 boys, a 2 1/2 yr old with perfect skin and a 7 month old riddled with Eczema.

It first became a problem at around 3 months and since then its been Hell.
    I'm looking for anyone who is or has been in the same situation and just wants to chat about it! I could write an essay on the things we've tried and the creams/lotions/ointments/steroids we've used but don't want to scare anyone off by writing too much to the point where no-one bothers reading!
    I feel like all I think and talk about is Eczema and am slowing driving everyone I know crazy I think :-)

anyways we're trying the all natural approach at the moment along with seeing a Naturopath, will hopefully see some improvement soon but basically he's just covered!

I don't want anyone else's little bubs to be going through this but would love to talk to anyone who is and just share stories, idea's etc...

ok, hopefully hear from some people soon!

:-) xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Have you tried qv intensive grease/cream?

Both my girls have eczema & it's the only thing that works. They also see a dermatologist.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Paed told me to buy the biggest cheapest tub of sorbelene cream I could find and apply at every nappy change. It took a few weeks but worked for my DS1.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 2Bboys For This Useful Post:

andi84  (11-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids don't have eczema, but my nephew did. He had it so bad he would scream in pain. He had to be circumcised at about 6 months because his foreskin was covered and blocking things off, poor little man. I don't know everything they tried, but I know they got a special cream made. They kept him away from a lot of foods such as citrus and broccoli, diet is certainly good to look into. They also washed his clothes different detergent. It cleared up completely by the time he was about 18 months.

I hope your bub gets some relief soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Creams like dermeeze & moo goo. can offer some relief. I wouldn't reccommend sorbolene as that can sting. No hot baths, no woolen clothing, sensitive bath stuff & laundry powder. Also hazelwood necklaces can help. If its severe you can do wet dressings 3 times per day to repair thr skin, they work great but are time consuming. Most importamntly try & find what they r sensitive to & avoid it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Ladies,
    I haven't tried the QV intenstive cream but have tried the QV lotion, It was the first thing the doctor told me to use but Kai would scream every time I put it on him.
    I've used Hydraderm for the last few weeks which is mainly Sorbelene, Its great at keeping his skin hydrated but doesn't stop the flare ups at all!

at the moment we're using Alpha Keri intensive ointment to moisturise at every nappy change and Alpha Keri oil in the bath, As of yesterday I've started putting Rosehip oil on the bad spots to see if it makes a difference.

I can write a list of the things I've tried! not sure how long it will be lol.

We've seen 3 different GP's, A pediatric Dermatologist 3 times ( i see him again in feb) and have had allergy testing done. He's allergic to Eggs and peanuts but being fully breastfed up until a month ago, I haven't had these foods in my diet since we saw the Dermo in October!
    I know that there can be food 'triggers' that aren't allergies but can still cause flare ups, which is why his solid food diet is very very limited at the moment.

The naturopath has me taking Zinc, a herb mix which tastes lovely (not) and probiotics. I'm now on a gluten free diet for the next 2 weeks to see if that makes a difference!

Its insane how hard this skin condition is to treat without steroid creams, which I should mention do clear it up almost overnight but it always comes back even worse around 3 days later and within that time he's no less itchy or irritated so I just don't see the point using them anymore!

Thanks for the replies,

and MissPoss, thats terrible about your Nephew, my heart breaks every day for all the little ones out there dealing with it! I do like to hear the stories of the kids that grow out of it tho!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey ladybug,
    I started with Dermeeze, which again is awesome for moisturising but doesn't stop the flare ups.
    I should Also mention that since we discovered his Eczema at 3 months:
    *he's been in nothing but 100% cotton clothing/bedding
    *we use soap nuts for washing (100% natural and they're awesome)
    * I haven't worn perfume or make up (besides mascara)
    * I vaccum every day and dust like a mad woman
    *no soaps or shampoo's on him
    * I've also eliminated for 9 weeks, dairy, nuts, eggs, and for 3 weeks, wheat and soy. then we got the allergy testing done!
    * we only use vinegar and bi-carb for cleaning around the house

Lol. sounding like a crazy person yet??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The QV lotion stings like CRAZY! My legs ended up worse than they were before hand. The intensive is like a grease, it doesnt rub off just very slowly soaks in & water beads off it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm.. Poor little guy :-(

You mentioned bicarb for cleaning (I also use all natural stuff) but have you considered giving bub a bicarb bath? It lowers the acidity in the body.. Generally start with about 1 teaspoon per bath every other night then move amount up to 4 or 5 teaspoons by a month or two.. Can be very effective in treating excema and dermatitis.

Also... Could he be allergic to milk??

Quite common in excema sufferers is a lactose intolerance...

I hope you find some relief soon xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't heard of bi-carb baths for it but will give anything a go, would it be 1-2 tsp per baby bath or normal tub?
    when we took him to the hospital in november during a bad full body/face flare up they told me I had to do bleach baths which I'd also been told 3 weeks earlier by my dermo to do and refused because it just sounded wrong, we ended up giving them to him for a few weeks but again didn't really see any difference, It seemed to control the severity of the flare ups but thats about it!

I did go dairy free for 9 weeks with no change, and was reading labels for everything, my sisters a vegan so I know how hidden milk products can be in all kinds of foods. hopefully the gluten free diet that I've started 4 days ago makes a difference.

will def give the bicarb in the bath a go so thanks :-)