+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry you've already said you would live out further. I didn't read the while thread. Apologies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Someone mentioned Geelong. I lived there for a year. If your DH can get work in Geelong itself or nearby, it's a great place and def in your price range. Even Geelong "CBD" is quiet and within your price range. If your DH gets a job in the city though (Melbourne) I'd avoid living there. The driving commute is horrendous and the trains don't run terribly frequently.

In Geelong (well, surrounds) avoid Corio, Norlane, Bell Post Hill....really, anything north of Geelong/Geelong West. East Geelong, Newtown, Geelong West, Highton, Rippleside and Drumcondra are all lovely and mostly older (some period) homes. Rippleside & Drumcondra are right on the water so might be pushing it if you want a big backyard for that price.

Really though, Geelong is so small you can walk or drive to the beach pretty quickly from any of the suburbs I mentioned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Edited
    Edited
    Last edited by preggasaurus; 13-01-2012 at 09:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The difference between Canberra and Melbourne is that you won't be living *in* melbourne for less than $500. You can't get a house for less than that in a "good suburb" less than 30min drive into the city. Some people underestimate car times etc or only drive when there isn't traffic, but if you have to drive for work or at time that isn't between 11 and 2:30, or after 6:30/7pm, you are going to have traffic. That can turn the outer suburbs into a 1hr to 2hr drive away from the city in bad traffic, so I would only live in a suburb out far if you don't mind large travel times or will only be using your surrounding area for work, not going into the city. A big quality of life is lost when you have to travel far all day every day or on weekends to go anywhere good to do things. Train line quality also is really bad the further you go out, with trains being cancelled, buses taking over train routes a lot (long waiting times). The cost of transport could equal or pass what you are paying for in rent in Canberra, even if you live further and cheaper out in Melbourne!

Eta... be careful of houses that look cheaper online (around $350 - $450 in a good suburb). I have been to a lot of opens for hosues like this and there is usually something majorly wrong with it. One house had such an old kitchen it didn't have an internal sink/tap! Another only had one bathroom.... accessed through the main bedroom. A lot have laundries that you have to walk to with the toilet being out there too. I am assuming these places are being rented until they are knocked down too, especially in the east with land value!

Would you consider a townhouse or apartment? That would open up a lot more suburbs for the $400 price range

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in pakenham and you can find some really nice places for that $ berwick is beautiful if you can get one there and again officer, beaconsfield are really nice too! Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know that someone has mentioned that Sunshine = bad, but we are in a new estate in Sunshine West, close to the freeway (but not close enough to hear it or anything), 20-25 min drive to the city (not in peak hour) in a 1 year old house (we were the first to live here), with a park close by and shops within walking distance, and on a bus route for $370 per week.

I don't mind the area at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So much helpful advice. I really appreciate it ladies , you have given me lots of area to look up and I now have more of an indication of where to look and where to avoid . We signed a listing agreement to sell our house with a real estate agent today so it's all starting to feel real/exciting/scary/stressful. it's going to be a busy few weeks getting our house ready for an open home.

Sent from my iPhone