+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would have to agree with the person who said Sunbury, its a big town, still not connected to the city, though there is a 2 lane Hwy to the city, another good road via the airport and a train station. Its family friendly, has lots of shopping, pool, local show, etc. Its about 45-50 mins to Southern Cross and about the same by road.

I would also strongly recommend Gisborne, its about 10 mins past Sunbury, has everything, is on the same hwy, there is a train station in new gisborne and regular busses. Mt Macedon is up the rd which is a beautiful place to while away many an afternoon, beautiful hill station gardens which are regularly open that your DD would love. And it has THE BEST EVER FAIRY SHOP!!! Its called Myths and Legends... they have a website...

I would never live in Melton, its a hole. Nor would I live between Sunbury and say Essendon.... Dont really know the east side much except around the closer more expensive burbs, which would be awesome but VERY EXXY.

Hope you find somewhere.

Or about

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    tbh i don't think you'll find it any cheaper living in Melbourne, unless you are willing to sacrifice something. You'll either need to find something smaller, closer in, or buy another car unless your OH is happy to commute a long and unpredictable journey on public transport, or you're happy to be without a car for the day. Which again means relying on long unpredictable PT journeys to get places.

ETA maybe a regional town would be better? I guess it depends on job opportunities too.
    Last edited by FearlessLeader; 12-01-2012 at 20:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    tbh i don't think you'll find it any cheaper living in Melbourne, unless you are willing to sacrifice something. You'll either need to find something smaller, closer in, or buy another car unless your OH is happy to commute a long and unpredictable journey on public transport, or you're happy to be without a car for the day. Which again means relying on long unpredictable PT journeys to get places.

ETA maybe a regional town would be better? I guess it depends on job opportunities too.
    Happy to live in outer suburbs. Housing about 150 a week cheaper than here which really adds up quickly but also there are more job opportunities for DH and part time job opportunities for me. If DH can get a better paying job then add that to the savings on housing and it makes the cost of living much more affordable. If we sell out house here we cannot get a 3 bed rental for under 460 a week and thats for very tiny townhouses with pretty much no yard. We plan to get a second car but only have a few thousand left to pay off our current car so want to pay that off first. We have only just gone to one car as DH had a work car as part of the job package from the job he has just left. Canberra buses are terrible and it takes an hour and a half by bus to get to somewhere it only takes 12 mins by car. So either way we would need another car.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should also add that the reason I gave this thread the title it has is because I have no issue living in a more regional area or further out from the city as some posters have suggested. It really all depends on where the best job comes up at. But I think it's important when looking at jobs and houses to know where not to apply and live. Also happy for info on where TO live. I know everyone will have differing opinions and as we are going to rent we won't be stuck if we don't like where we end up bug I know no matter where you go there ' those' places that you just don't want to live if you can help it.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would go Berwick like someone else suggested. Its great for families. Plenty of schools and childcare, great public transport

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I live in Mernda which is outer north (30 kms from the city) and I love it here. Mostly new estates, great kinder and schools and a couple of the estates have their own supermarkets. We are only a five minute drive from a Westfield shopping centre, plus there are major shopping centres at Greensborough, Northland (Preston) and Epping which are all within 15 minutes away. There are also several child care centres around. We do lack a public high school but hopefully that will be resolved in a few years. Mernda is still a developing community but it is really family friendly... love it

7. The Following User Says Thank You to icugal For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you're going to be a one car family then definitely live near a train line. And if hubby's going to work in the city I'd prioritise proximity to his work over backyard size because Melbourne is very spread out - he could end up with a 2 hour commute if you live far out.

So I'm sure many of the outer burbs are nice places but when we were looking to buy we decided we'd rather have less room but more time with DH. Otherwise he wouldn't get to see DD at night after work as she goes to bed at 7pm.

So my suggestion is avoid the outer burbs.

I just did a quick search on domain.com.au and found 3 bedroom houses for under $400 in various eastern suburbs like Carnegie, Murrumbeena and Malvern East. All nice family places with 20 minute train rides to the city. It's definitely doable.

I also like Ormond, McKinnon, Bentleigh, Ashburton, Chadstone and around there.
    Last edited by lemonpancakes; 12-01-2012 at 22:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live in the outer eastern suburbs and love it! We are inbetween 2 suburbs both country ish.. But both close enough to train stations with bus stops everywhere that will take you to a station anyway! It's fantastic for the kids, parks everywhere supermarkets everywhere and big shopping centers not too far away near the mount dandenongs which are beautiful! And not a long drive to snowy spots in winter.. I'm in Lilydale/Wandin, my parents live in the next suburb across which is just as charming it's beautiful here with the fresh country air and mostly friendly people everywhere. Prob takes just under an hour to get to the city by train and about the same by car now with east link! I wouldn't move anywhere else id def stay in this area

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wandin IS beautiful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As others have said, you won't get anything for that price close to the city. I pay $350 for a 2 bdr unit in Thornbury (north). I paid $360 for a 2 bdr house (big garden and studio) in Yarraville (west). I lived in Elwood (south) for 10 years and you could only get a unit for that price. I'd be surprised if you could even get something in Bentleigh, Carnegie, Chadstone, Oakleigh way anymore that wasn't a dump.

In terms of suburbs I would avoid Springvale, Noble Park, broadmeadows, clayton, pakenham, Werribee. Too be honest I didn't love a lot of the suburbs in the West once I got too far out, but it's definitely up and coming.