+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Childcare director, but will also be applying for Childcare area manager positions. I also have z diploma in Childcare and was a director up until 2 weeks ago . But I have been full time since DD was 12 weeks old and I hate working full time and being away from her so much.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    Hoping to get a 3 bed house for under 400 per week , the closer to the city the better but not sure what we can get for this price range . (3 bed house in canberra is currently close to the $500 per week plus mark) A townhouse would be fine but needs to have a backyard big enough fot DD to play and have her trampoline . We do not know Melbourne at all. It's a scary change but exciting as well.

Sent from my iPhone
    Ok so as PP have said, with that budget, sadly most nicer suburbs close to city are out, unless happy for an apartment which you aren't. I live inner west and love it with everything you need and close, but you won't get anything big enough with that budget in the nicer parts of this area '(Newport/Williamstown/Yarraville)

Point Cook as previously mentioned is set up very well for amenities and families with plenty of shops/playgrounds/new larger shopping centre etc You would get a nice reasonable new house for that price too, but public transport is ****e out there there moment, would have to drive or bus it to a train station.

You could try looking around Fairfield/Clifton Hill/Heidelberg/Northcote area. Not sure on price but is close to city with a lot of parkland around.

If you went to www.realestate.com.au and selected a couple of preferred 'nicer' suburbs or areas, you can then tick for 'surrounding suburbs' so would give you an idea of what your budget would get you. HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know you said where NOT to live, but somewhere that's good for families, Try Sunbury,
    Has everything you want and 4 bedroom house is around $350
    Last edited by Nazgul; 12-01-2012 at 04:53.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nazgul For This Useful Post:

Azurial  (12-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Fairfield, Clifton Hill and Northcote are all great but again I don't think you'd get anything half decent for your budget. Perhaps look at these type of suburbs and then see which ones are a couple more stops out on the train line? It is expensive in Melbourne, as it is most places...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know Malvern has already been mentioned but the surrounding suburbs - Glen Waverley, Mt Waverley etc - are also lovely and I am currently renting a 3 bedroom house for under $400 in that area, there is lots of public transport within a short walk and I generally feel very safe walking around my suburb!

Some bayside suburbs (Cheltenham, Bentleigh) are also really nice and quite affordable.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dad lives in Mcgregor (however it's spelt). I used to be a southsider.

If you want close to the city, try point cook (about the closest you'll get for your price range). If you want a leafy area, you may find Bentleigh or Oakleigh a good area.
    The Charny equivalent out west would be Werribee or Hoppers Crossing. Out south east would be Noble Park, Dandenong or Doveton.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Eastern and Northern suburbs are nice..

I wouldnt go near the North Western suburbs under any circumstance!
    Someone already mentioned Craigieburn and Roxburgh Park, Ill add Broadmeadows, Meadow Heights, Gladstone Park and Dallas.
    Also a little further west, Sunshine (known by many people as scumshine) and St Albans.
    Oh and Dandenong and Springvale are pretty dirty, overcrowded suburbs too!

Someone said Heidelberg was nice.. Just be careful which end! You
    want the Burgundy St end..near the hospitals. The southern rd
    end is heavy on the gov housing, has a few huge blocks of flats and is quite rough and scary! Jump over to the neighboring suburb of Preston for nice big streets

Thanks
    Reviews
    IMO avoid Frankston North, Chelsea Heights, Hallam, most of Cranbourne and Carrum Downs. If you look at all the 'burbs people have listed, you'll start to see there are 3 or 4 areas of Melbourne and surrounding suburbs that you should avoid if you can.

I've lived in Newport & Ascot Vale (not sure you'd get what you want in your range but if you can, I'd highly recommend both). We're now further out East away from the city. It would help to know how far by train you're willing to travel to get to the city. The difference between a 30/45/60 minute trip can be huge in terms of which "desirable" suburbs are available.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We're in a 4 bed, 2 bath, 2 car on a decent size block for point cook for under 400.

Moving out very too as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was going to suggest cheltenham, dingley etc lots of transport, 10-15 from the bay, 30-45 mins to
    city, huge shopping centre, lots of good schools and parks

we used to rent a decent siZe 3 bedroom
    for 300 a week 5 years ago so u should still be able to get something for under 400