+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm too scared to mention my *crappy* suburbs for fear of offending anyone on here

All sides of town have good and bad, so it's probably easier if you list your 'must haves' of what you need/want so we can help?
    Last edited by Pesca77; 11-01-2012 at 21:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    haha subscribing, I love hearing about this kind of thing, so much more interesting than "what is the best suburb" tehehe

what is your price range? I think anyone who could afford it (and lives in the suburbs of Melbourne, not country vic) would try for closest to the city as possible. Most suburbs outside a certain radius of the city get pretty terrible to live in, in terms of lack of public transport, schooling choices, chemical factories etc. The city really does thrive off the centre of Melbourne with most outer suburbs being left behind in terms of good things about them.

I live in a suburb that I wouldn't live in if I could afford not to, but it ticked the most boxes of what I wanted and could deal with at this price level so I think that is how most people base it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsdj1234 View Post
    Which suburb do you live in in Canberra? And which suburbs do you avoid?
    I'll list the Melbourne equivalents for you.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub
    We live in the new macgregor section. suburb is near and clean with a few little parks close by and kippax shops a 2 min drive away. But it's Canberra and really nothing is very far away as long as you have a car. There are not too many suburbs in Canberra that need be avoided really , probably main one would be charnwood as everything is really run down and dirty.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    I'm too scared to mention my *crappy* suburbs for fear of offending anyone on here

All sides of town have good and bad, so it's probably easier if you list your 'must haves' of what you need/want so we can help?
    Would like to have a local shops nearby ( supermarket, takeaway etc) . DD is only 2.5 so not worried about schools just yet , although she will most likely go into Childcare for 2-3 days per week so I can work part time. A park within walking distance is always good . Close to public transport would be desirable as we only have one car. I guess we are looking for a 'family friendly' suburb.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks
    Reviews
    What does hubby do for work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    haha subscribing, I love hearing about this kind of thing, so much more interesting than "what is the best suburb" tehehe

what is your price range? I think anyone who could afford it (and lives in the suburbs of Melbourne, not country vic) would try for closest to the city as possible. Most suburbs outside a certain radius of the city get pretty terrible to live in, in terms of lack of public transport, schooling choices, chemical factories etc. The city really does thrive off the centre of Melbourne with most outer suburbs being left behind in terms of good things about them.

I live in a suburb that I wouldn't live in if I could afford not to, but it ticked the most boxes of what I wanted and could deal with at this price level so I think that is how most people base it.
    Hoping to get a 3 bed house for under 400 per week , the closer to the city the better but not sure what we can get for this price range . (3 bed house in canberra is currently close to the $500 per week plus mark) A townhouse would be fine but needs to have a backyard big enough fot DD to play and have her trampoline . We do not know Melbourne at all. It's a scary change but exciting as well.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    Would like to have a local shops nearby ( supermarket, takeaway etc) . DD is only 2.5 so not worried about schools just yet , although she will most likely go into Childcare for 2-3 days per week so I can work part time. A park within walking distance is always good . Close to public transport would be desirable as we only have one car. I guess we are looking for a 'family friendly' suburb.

Sent from my iPhone
    Prahran!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    Craigieburn, Roxburgh Park. Teens are pretty rough there with property, we had our car stolen three times in a year and house broken into at night while we were all there, cars were in the drive and everything. There's a letter to the newspaper every week complaining about gangs of teens roaming the streets after dark.
    This scares me I must admit. I have never had any problems with crime or feeling unsafe in Canberra , one of the things I actually really like about Canberra

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    Hoping to get a 3 bed house for under 400 per week , the closer to the city the better but not sure what we can get for this price range . (3 bed house in canberra is currently close to the $500 per week plus mark) A townhouse would be fine but needs to have a backyard big enough fot DD to play and have her trampoline . We do not know Melbourne at all. It's a scary change but exciting as well.

Sent from my iPhone
    Oh, just saw this. Scrap prahran, you won't get a 3brm for $400 ($700 is more close to what I've been seeing online). Tbh, on the east of Melbourne, you would be going into the bad suburbs already listed for less than $400 a week for a 3brm. Try Malvern?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with PP - eastern suburbs will be quite far out of city for that budget. I'm about 35km west of city in Melton (about half hour drive). Lots of development out this way and reasonable public transport. Good areas and also areas you know to avoid but I honestly believe every suburb is like that.