+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have anxiety issues which stem from my nose and I would love to get it 'fixed'. I'm not vain, it literally has a detrimental affect upon my mental health, and i've received counselling for it. Upon saying that, I don't expect medicare to cover any costs (although at my consultation I was kinda hoping the surgeon would find a deviated septum ). But I can completely understand how some reconstructive surgery should be covered.

Quote Originally Posted by happygirl1982 View Post
    I would prefer dental to be covered then plastic surgery .
    I'm really curious to know why dental isn't covered? Is there a special reason? My filling and check up the other day cost $180...it's a lot for a single Mum without private health!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well said Pennylane!!!!
    Some people just don't get it :/

Can't wait to have my stomach fixed,
    I don't even want a tummy tuck- I'm hoping my muscle separation ISN'T that bad and that some lipo will be enough to *fix* my over hang so it is somewhat better and much less embarrassing. I don't even want wash board flat, just not hanging down will be enough for me.
    I'm sick of trying to hide it.
    I'm sick of looking in the mirror and trying not to cry about it.

And I too figure that my DH works hard and pays taxes.
    I have and will work again one day and also pay tax.
    So if and when I go in for surgery, if they say I am somewhat covered by Medicare I won't be saying no!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I hate having to buy pants bigger as well and either maternity style or elasticated cos a normal button & fly won't do up over the skin. And then they slip down below my overhang and fall off. Hate it so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I have anxiety issues which stem from my nose and I would love to get it 'fixed'. I'm not vain, it literally has a detrimental affect upon my mental health, and i've received counselling for it. Upon saying that, I don't expect medicare to cover any costs (although at my consultation I was kinda hoping the surgeon would find a deviated septum ). But I can completely understand how some reconstructive surgery should be covered.

I'm really curious to know why dental isn't covered? Is there a special reason? My filling and check up the other day cost $180...it's a lot for a single Mum without private health!
    That's a pretty good price. Though it's still a lot of money. I don't know why they don't it isn't fair.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well no need for everyone to be so angry about cosmetic surgery being covered, because it's not true

Plastic surgeons don't always do "cosmetic procedures". A plastic surgeon is a registered medical officer (doctor) who has done medical school and 5 years of specialty training in surgery. MOST do not end up doing cosmetic procedures. Like others have said, reconstuction is not cosmetic. Even a doctor who does breast procedures all day every day is not a cosmetic surgeon. One of the best plastic surgeons in Australia does this as his job. Believe it or not there are a lot of medical reasons someone can need a breast reconstruction that has not even a little thing to do with cosmetics.

In order to be covered by medicare, the doctor has to be a licensed (practising) plastic surgeon (remember different to simply a cosmetic one, as outlined above). Part of the process is your photographs in every single angle being taken to show how bad your problem is, and clinical facts written by the doctor about their consult with you and how this is a medical problem. Once a reviewing team has read this and stared at all of your photos, they approve it or they don't.

Approval can mean anything according to your own personal case. In most cases only anaesthetic and surgery room costs are rebated (so not even entirely covered for that either). Everything else, even tools used, are usually charged at high prices and not covered at all. You also go on the same public waiting list as everyone else is on to get any non-life threatening surgery done, up to 5 years.

A cosmetic "tummy tuck" is not covered. What is covered, (not free, just the same process as above with parts covered) is the reconstruction of your stomach. We are not talking about women who want a flat stomach. You can google what a severe split in your abdo muscles can mean if you want to know why it would be deemed medically necessary. The procedure ends up making the womans stomach flatter again, because her abdomen is being held in place again! It is not a tummy tuck.

I think people get confused by the term plastic surgery. A burns victim has plastic surgery, a breast cancer patient has plastic surgery. It is a medical field of medicine. One of the hardest surgery specialties to get into. If medicare has approved something, it's medical!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

Benji  (12-01-2012),headoverfeet  (12-01-2012),Maybelline  (31-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambaloo View Post
    I hate having to buy pants bigger as well and either maternity style or elasticated cos a normal button & fly won't do up over the skin. And then they slip down below my overhang and fall off. Hate it so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have the same problem!!! I don't own one pair of pants or shorts that dont have elastic I know how you feel!!!
    My over hang is that bad that in hot weather it rubs on the very top of my thigh causes severe pain and very red raw skin both on my thigh and tummy!!! I am really dreading how it's gonna be after my 4th c section I don't even want to think about it!!!

It not only causes me physical pain but emotional aswell!! I dont look at myself naked in the mirror cause I can't stand how I look I will just cry!!
    I wear long loose tops to cover the hang so no one can see it!!!
    My partner sees clothes and tells me I should buy them etc but I just can't, as sweet as it really is he thinks I can still wear pre pregnancy type clothes that I use to when we first met

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tummy Tucks covered by Medicare

Hi All
    I have ready all of your comments and I am just wondering if anyone has had a Tummy Tuck covered by Medicare in NSW
    I want to get one done as after having been through IVF with alot of injections daily and having a c section my stomach now hangs and its horrible and get sore and itchy all the time. I have bad stretch marks which dont bother me its the fact that my stomach hangs and its horrible
    I have been trying to find a doctor in sydney that does it under medicare but cant find one
    I know there is waiting lists in SA
    Can anyone help me
    DOes anyone know of any surgeons that will cover this??? If so can you list who it is

All help appreciated

Caz

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I am having a tummy tuck which is partially covered by medicare - it is considered reconstructive, not cosmetic.
    I understand people don't get it, they just think i'm vain but it's more than that - my muscles are badly damaged and need to be sewn back together.
    You will only be covered by medicare if your surgery is deemed medically necessary.