+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just subscribing to read along

*Dear iPhone, stop autocorrecting all my swear words you piece of shut.
    Can't!
    DYAC...go to he'll*

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    the government will not pay for anything that isnt needed they are tight as a fishes @ss whole so if its apprived by medicare then its medically needed, Who are we to judge.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (11-01-2012),TinyLittleTootsies  (11-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wish there were Medicare rebates for cosmetic surgery I'd have the works done!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I dont think they should be covered by medicare I think there are far more important things they could be funding to be honest.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

MoonGecko  (11-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would prefer dental to be covered then plastic surgery .

8. The Following User Says Thank You to happygirl1982 For This Useful Post:

MoonGecko  (11-01-2012)

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    Purely plastic surgery is rarely covered, and there usually has to be evidence that the surgery that's being suggested (which might have a cosmetic component) is medically necessary.

As an example, I was offered a rhinoplasty several years ago. I have a deviated septum and it was causing, at the time, chronic sinusitis (as in, I had one long sinus infection for 18 months that never went away until I had surgery to have my sinuses scraped out. That was fun. Not ).

Sure, a rhinoplasty is 'plastic surgery' but the purpose of this one was actually to straighten the structures of my nose so that the mucous would be able to more easily drain from the sinus cavity and wouldn't sit there and grow bacteria.

I said no to the surgery - thank goodness - and found out the following year that dairy was contributing hugely to the problem, so now I have a sinus infection about once a year-to-18-months, but if I'd not found that out, I think at some point I would have felt pushed into the surgery. It's not tenable to live your entire life sick because of something that's fixable via surgery.

I'm sure that there would have been some people who would have scoffed and said that I'd just gotten a nose job on the tax-payer's hard work - but what's better? Doing a once-off surgery, or having to see a doctor literally every 2 weeks for 18 months? Do you really think I had any quality of life while I was living that way? Do you think that all the doctors visits - which, in the end were bulk billed - cost less over 18 months than a 1-off surgery would have?

I think people should really know what it is that they're talking about before they judge because, although I'm sure there are unscrupulous plastic surgeons out there who lie to medicare to make a buck - there are also amazing doctors who are offering life-quality-changing procedures to people...and some of you are sitting around scoffing that it's just 'plastic surgery'.

Pretty unfair really.
    Last edited by Tam-I-Am; 11-01-2012 at 19:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tam-I-Am View Post
    As an example, I was offered a rhinoplasty several years ago. I have a deviated septum and it was causing, at the time, chronic sinusitis (as in, I had one long sinus infection for 18 months that never went away until I had surgery to have my sinuses scraped out. That was fun. Not ).
    I had rhinoplasty done 8 years ago for my septum, a spore & cleft. I still have my sinus scraped every 12 months. I really need rhinoplasty done again but it wont look as good as it did the first time.

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    You poor thing

I wish that you could find a solution like mine...The no dairy thing was a revelation. Totally changed my life almost overnight. No irritable bowel syndrome, no mid-afternoon flakeout, no more sinus infections, no sickness for 12 months full stop...it even had a positive impact on my mental health. It was amazing.

I'm really sorry you have to go through all of that. I hope it's not too hard on you xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think some of you seem to be confusing 'cosmetic' and 'reconstructive' IMO

Ive had 3 c/secs and no matter how much I exercise my lower back constantly aches because I have no core support due to my stomach muscles being so mucked about with.

When I get the last bit of my weight off,When I decide to get a tummy tuck if Medicare wants to help me out In ANY way I will accept it.I don't expect it to be free but any help will be amazing.

I figure I pay taxes,my husband serves our country in the ADF,if I can get a little help from Medicare so that when I run with my kids I don't have to wait for my stomach to catch up from back around the corner,then good for me.If it helps me not want to run and hide at my husbands work functions because all his mates are young blokes that have partners that have professions like 'pole dancer' (lol,no really) and make me feel like i was supposed to drop to a size 6 immediately upon discharge from hospital,awesome.If they're going to offer it,I'm going to take it.If they don't want me to,they shouldn't offer.

I want to be able to lift my kids without my back aching,I want to wear jeans In a stylish cut that doesn't leave me with a huge flap of loose skin,I can't wear the right size because of my stomach,I'm wearing 2 sizes above what I should be because it sits so low.Im only 27,I want to feel half decent about myself.
    Last edited by pennylane; 11-01-2012 at 20:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Even some procedures that are medically necessary aren't covered.

Sometimes the system just sucks

Sometimes people need what they need for the reasons they need it

Sometimes people who can't afford it miss out

Sometimes it's purely about vanity

Sometimes it's all of the above somehow

*Dear iPhone, stop autocorrecting all my swear words you piece of shut.
    Can't!
    DYAC...go to he'll*

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FloatingFairy For This Useful Post:

Izy  (11-01-2012),LoveLivesHere  (11-01-2012),Pinkzy  (11-01-2012)