+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,092
    Thanks
    139
    Thanked
    293
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Medicare covering costs for plastic surgery

    There's been a few threads about Medicare covering the costs of tummy tucks, breast lifts etc.

    Some people have questioned after x number of c-sections are you entitled to a tummy tuck and Medicare pay for it.

    Isn't our health system in crisis enough without Medicare paying for a tummy tuck?

    To me, if your c-section scar is not causing any problems, you just don't like the look of it, you should pay for your own! Only when it becomes medically necessary should Medicare pay for it, ie, scar tissue attaching to internal organs.

    I have horrible loose baggy skin from my pregnancy with DD, she was a vaginal birth, but my tummy is flabby, loose and covered in stretch marks and I don't expect the government to pay for a tummy tuck for me.

    Women who have vaginal births can't get Medicare to pay for their vagina to be tightened back up to pre-childbirth unless absolutely necessary, even then, from what I have read on here, they have gone through hell to have it done! I've read stories of women having prolapsed bladders who couldn't leave the house for fear of leaking everywhere.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoonGecko For This Useful Post:

    headoverfeet  (12-01-2012),Izy  (11-01-2012),jennibear  (11-01-2012)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Padbury, Perth
    Posts
    336
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked
    37
    Reviews
    0
    Medicare will only cover the costs if a certain set of criteria is met - as you answered your own question only if the tummy tuck is 'medically necessary'

    It may work out that people who have had multiple c-secs fit this criteria more than women who have had natural births.

    And yes, I believe Medicare should pay for medically necessary tummy tucks.

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kel87 For This Useful Post:

    Janesmum123  (11-01-2012),LoveLivesHere  (11-01-2012),PomPoms  (11-01-2012)

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bayside, Brisbane
    Posts
    2,485
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked
    90
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hmm I wonder where this thread stemmed from

    I was just querying whether there was any truth in the matter and if so, what the criteria is as I could be having my third c/s in April this year.

    I do not believe it should be done for everyone either. I think certain criteria should need to be met, not just because you want it.

    I also believe that the fact that my past c/s should not have happened and now I don't have a choice in the way or where I birth due to the health system, I would be more than happy with a rebate on a tummy tuck.

    I have heard it's a mini tummy tuck. I cannot see my scars ... my belly hangs too far over the top & haven't seen my vag in so long. I have numbness around scar and in various places up to my belly button as well as some twinges in my back from the spinals. I didn't choose to have c/s births. And you don't have to have a natural birth to have issues with bladder control. I can tell you that for certain. I am pretty sure you have to lose weight etc beforehand to meet criteria (yet to find the criteria if this rebate does in fact exist) just like the breast reduction surgery that I am probably entitled to due to the health problems caused by my large boobs. I have just not looked further into it as I have one more baby on the way I would like to breastfeed and will look into it more once I am finished. I would love to be able to breath properly whilst laying down, I would love to have no back and shoulder problems and I would love to be able to wear no bra and I would love to be able to buy pretty bras and cheapies on sale at Kmart instead of going to specialist stores.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emzy83 View Post
    There's been a few threads about Medicare covering the costs of tummy tucks, breast lifts etc.

    Some people have questioned after x number of c-sections are you entitled to a tummy tuck and Medicare pay for it.

    Isn't our health system in crisis enough without Medicare paying for a tummy tuck?

    To me, if your c-section scar is not causing any problems, you just don't like the look of it, you should pay for your own! Only when it becomes medically necessary should Medicare pay for it, ie, scar tissue attaching to internal organs.

    I have horrible loose baggy skin from my pregnancy with DD, she was a vaginal birth, but my tummy is flabby, loose and covered in stretch marks and I don't expect the government to pay for a tummy tuck for me.

    Women who have vaginal births can't get Medicare to pay for their vagina to be tightened back up to pre-childbirth unless absolutely necessary, even then, from what I have read on here, they have gone through hell to have it done! I've read stories of women having prolapsed bladders who couldn't leave the house for fear of leaking everywhere.

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,611
    Thanks
    404
    Thanked
    1,918
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I guess it's a broader question of whether Medicare should cover any cosmetic surgery that aren't causing other medical problems. Other examples I could think of would be excess skin after weight loss, or large birth marks, large ears, crooked nose.

    My first response would be to say, no, and that's how the cookie crumbles, and our bodies are going to sag and age anyway.

    However, if it is causing depression or anxiety or some other psychological problem, then it is causing a medical problem, and probably should be covered. Although I would think counselling should be offered first as maybe the person could change their thought patterns rather than their physical state.

    The other thing, though, is that is does seem unfair that somebody with money can remedy these issues, and people without money can't.

    However, unless everybody wants to pay more tax, there is only so much money. I think more public good would be served by having free dental over cosmetic surgery.

    Hmn, my answer is really equivocal...

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

    Izy  (11-01-2012)

  8. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,786
    Thanks
    1,021
    Thanked
    2,246
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What about mental problems from it?
    I will never ever forget when my friend gathered the courage to show me her stomach. I have never in my life seen anything like it not even on the internet. Her stomach looked burnt from stretch marks. Her skin was so saggy she couldnt wear pants unless she had control underwear on. I felt so bad for her. She cried everyday over it. So in those cases I think Medicare should cover it.

  9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

    Benji  (11-01-2012),Brunfelsia Dreaming  (11-01-2012),Izy  (11-01-2012),pennylane  (11-01-2012),Pinkzy  (11-01-2012),Witwicky  (11-01-2012)

  10. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,168
    Thanks
    320
    Thanked
    240
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have major issues with cosmetic surgery in general. Western society's obsession with staying young is just rediculous...people age, its NATURAL!!!
    Having said that, if its medically nessasary eg, i recently had minor prolapse surgery(which was fully covered by medicare) and im now back to Pre-child birth vagina and im not complaining .
    The issue i have is where to we draw the line...any one can say their sagging baby belly is causing them pain, who ACTUALLY knows if it is or not?? Does emotional pain qualify you for your boob job to be covered, or are you just more vain than everyone else and you THINK it will fix your problems??!!

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to jennibear For This Useful Post:

    headoverfeet  (11-01-2012)

  12. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bayside, Brisbane
    Posts
    2,485
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked
    90
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    What about mental problems from it?
    I will never ever forget when my friend gathered the courage to show me her stomach. I have never in my life seen anything like it not even on the internet. Her stomach looked burnt from stretch marks. Her skin was so saggy she couldnt wear pants unless she had control underwear on. I felt so bad for her. She cried everyday over it. So in those cases I think Medicare should cover it.
    Wow what a strong woman. I have serious issues with my sagging skin (but not many stretches), as I too cannot wear pants without control underwear an the control underwear also goes under my swimmers and it is seriously hot in summer! I am dreading how much worse it will be this time around. The control underwear even in summer is more comfortable than going without as it seems to be morr comfortable with that support.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    14,956
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    634
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Medicare will pay for an MEDICALLY NEEDED surgery.

    If you need it for a medical reason, they'll pay.

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    14,956
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    634
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jennibear View Post
    I have major issues with cosmetic surgery in general. Western society's obsession with staying young is just rediculous...people age, its NATURAL!!!
    Having said that, if its medically nessasary eg, i recently had minor prolapse surgery(which was fully covered by medicare) and im now back to Pre-child birth vagina and im not complaining .
    The issue i have is where to we draw the line...any one can say their sagging baby belly is causing them pain, who ACTUALLY knows if it is or not?? Does emotional pain qualify you for your boob job to be covered, or are you just more vain than everyone else and you THINK it will fix your problems??!!
    There is a huge difference between cosmetic surgery & reconstructive.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to TripleTime For This Useful Post:

    TinyLittleTootsies  (11-01-2012)

  16. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,786
    Thanks
    1,021
    Thanked
    2,246
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambaloo View Post
    Wow what a strong woman. I have serious issues with my sagging skin (but not many stretches), as I too cannot wear pants without control underwear an the control underwear also goes under my swimmers and it is seriously hot in summer! I am dreading how much worse it will be this time around. The control underwear even in summer is more comfortable than going without as it seems to be morr comfortable with that support.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes the poor thing I felt horrible I didn't know what to say to her. Anyway her husband took out a personal loan and she has it fixed now this was a few years back now.

    She isnt vain. She didn't want a perfect stomach she just wanted to wear normal clothing and make love to her husband without crying. It really affected her.

    Anyway she is all good now. And Im so happy for her.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

    Witwicky  (11-01-2012)


 

Similar Threads

  1. *Sort of spin off* Plastic surgery fake
    By SpecialPatrolGroup in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18-11-2012, 23:36
  2. Any darwin mummies - Plastic Surgery
    By jodster in forum Darwin
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-07-2012, 02:53
  3. Plastic surgery after baby?
    By Atlantic Puffin in forum Beauty
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 15-12-2011, 07:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Xmas with a NEW Fridge-to-go Lunch Bag! Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Fridge-to-go 8 hour cooler bags are ideal under the Christmas tree! Now in modern lunch bag designs - fill them with toys and chocolate to make parents and kids happy! Stay super cool and eat healthy and fresh food all summer long!
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Ro and Co
Ro and Co kids cooking classes and parties are a fantastic way for children to experiment with food. The classes and parties are designed to be both educational and fun, giving your child the skills they need to be confident and creative in the kitchen.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!