+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Coincidence or Side Effect?

I just took DS in for his 4 month vaccinations last Thursday. He was a bit cranky and then very sleepy that day, sleepy the next day and then after that (Saturday) onwards he's being a terror to get to have any nap at all. Once he wakes up for the day he may only have a couple of cat naps totalling half an hour in the ten hours he's up for the day.

The funny thing is that he was exactly this way for about three or four weeks after his last immunisations. And the timeline of how it started is exactly the same. I had put it down to a huge wonder week / period, and he did go up from the 25th to the 50th percentile in that time but now it's happening again I'm wondering...

Is it just a huge coincidence that his growth spurts are starting right after his immunisations or could it be a side effect from the vaccines? Has anyone else had their bub do something similar?

Please don't turn this into a vac / anti-vac discussion, I just want to know if this is common.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    IMO it would be coincidence. There is nothing in vaccines (hormones etc) that would prompt growth. He was probably just due a spurt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any other thoughts aka bump...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Irritability and not sleeping or over sleeping are common ( not serious ) side effects of infarix hexa and prenevar 13 immunisations so yes it definitely could be a reaction

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Irritability and not sleeping or over sleeping are common ( not serious ) side effects of infarix hexa and prenevar 13 immunisations so yes it definitely could be a reaction
    Yes they are. But growth spurts are not. I think that was the OP's original question.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can the irritability last that long though? I was wondering if they are actually growth spurts or a reaction. Sorry if I didn't post very clearly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    IMO and in everything Ive read, no, I don't believe so. Usually minor reactions like tiredness and irritability don't last for weeks. It may be that he'd picked up a virus, that he was grumpy going thru a growth spurt or phase. I've never had any of our kids go through weeks of this due to a vaccine. They have when growing etc. but not vaccine related.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny88 View Post
    Can the irritability last that long though? I was wondering if they are actually growth spurts or a reaction. Sorry if I didn't post very clearly.
    Sorry didn't you say he went up in growth percentiles after being tired and grumpy for a few weeks, and this happened to be after a shot?
    By the sounds of it he is only a few months old? This change in sleep patterns etc is very common for babies.
    Last edited by Atropos; 11-01-2012 at 21:42.