+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Colic... what helped your bub?

DS2 (8 weeks old) is a colicky bub, just as DS1 was. I'm defining colic as wind pains, sore tummy etc.

It comes and goes, and when he doesn't have it he's a happy little man, but he has it for a portion of most days... usually worse at night so even when cosleeping I'm getting very broken sleep, as is he, so he sleeps more during the day when his tummy is better, to make up for it. At night he'll often grimace, grumble, grizzle or cry out in his sleep due to his windy belly. I know that he'll grow out of it just as DS1 did, but anything that would help him now would be awesome to try!

I've tried:
    Infants friend (helps sometimes, but only about 20-30% of the time)
    Gripe water (same success rate as infants friend)
    Swaddling (does help when he's napping in his swing during the day but at night doesn't tend to make any difference)
    A little boiled water (a tiny bit in an eyedropper. Same success rate as infants friend and gripe water)
    Homeopathics (unsure if they helped or not really)
    Changing my diet (no change that I noticed)
    Cosleeping and offering b00b for comfort (the most effective by FAR).

Any other suggestions? Anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try a baby Chiro. It worked wonders for my little one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bit hard when co sleeping (we have a side car so not sure of your set up) but raising the mattress? Also, sleeping in a hammock. And being worn as much as possible. Being more upright basically.

My families kids are always really colicky. It suxs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Baby chiropractor all the way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Osteo, baby massage....typing one handed so excuse mistakes, colic just sucks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    With DS, I used a probiotic specific for babies after reading a pediatric study about the use of probiotics to treat colic. He was like a different baby!!
    I think it was called Baby Biotics. Just mixed the powder with a bit of EBM to make a paste and gave it to him with a spoon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumof1expecting2 View Post
    With DS, I used a probiotic specific for babies after reading a pediatric study about the use of probiotics to treat colic. He was like a different baby!!
    I think it was called Baby Biotics. Just mixed the powder with a bit of EBM to make a paste and gave it to him with a spoon.
    Where can you buy this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most health food shops and some chemists stock it, otherwise it can be prescribed by a naturapath.
    The company that make it is called Bioceuticals :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds was a really noisy bub overnight. Dreadfully so. I slept poorly til he went into his own room at 3 months. I regretted not letting him sleep in his own room earlier, cause it made such a huge difference to sleep for all of us. He was forever grunting & groaning in his sleep.

My dd in contrast is a quiet sleeper and she's 3.5 months and I don't want her to go into her own room yet (we don't co-sleep, she is a bassinet). My ds had reflux, but my dd has colic not reflux. What I have noticed with my dd is that if I put her in the swing for half an hour after she's fallen asleep after a feed she would grunt/groan/pass wind/etc whilst in the swing and do a poo if she needed to. Then, she would be much more settled & much quieter when I put her in the bassinet. It did mean I was up for an hour for a feed overnight (by the time I changed her, fed her, got her to sleep & then let her rock & settle in the swing), but it meant much better sleep for all of us when she went into her bassinet. I didn't have a swing for my ds til he was 4 months old, so I never tried this for him when he was little.

My dd is a lot better now though (she's 15 weeks tomorrow). In the early days she would scream from 5pm til midnight on & off and that gradually decreased. In the last few weeks we've had a few bad nights (less than 5) and quite a few really good nights with no screaming at all. Most nights we have 5 - 10 minutes of intense screaming and that's it. Such a relief as my dh is away for 3 weeks and I'm on my own with my dd & my ds.