+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default If you take parental leave, do you leave older children in daycare?

My son will be almost 4 when this baby arrives in sept. He is in dc one day pw, hopefully two soon.

I work 3 days, my partner 4, so we are eligible for ccr, which halves the cost.

If I take 4-6 months leave from work when this baby is born, then will I lose my ccr as I'm not working, studying or looking for work? Or is there a grace period if you're on short leave?

I would be worried to take my son out as we may not get back in due to a dc shortage around our area.

But I can't afford to pay full fees as the ppl is less than my pt wage and my partner is in a really low paid internship.

What do other people do, as this must be a common problem?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    MsMummy,

You are still eligible for CCR if you are on paid or unpaid parental leave from your employment for up to 12 months.

http://www.familyassist.gov.au/payme...study-test.php

We are keeping our nearly four year old DD in daycare 2 days a week while I am on 11 months paid mat leave with number 2. This keeps DD's spot and allows us to book DS into the same centre with priority later in the year when I go back to work. Most importantly they also have a kindy/pre-prep program so it will help DD get ready for school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thanks so much, dd. Congratulations on your new baby as well.

Part of the leave period would be in his pre-prep/kindy year, so another reason for him to stay, yes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    Thanks so much, dd. Congratulations on your new baby as well.

Part of the leave period would be in his pre-prep/kindy year, so another reason for him to stay, yes.
    Thanks and congrats to you on your pregnancy. We've found everything so much easier second time around and the nearly four year age gap also helps because DD is pretty independent and loves having a baby in the house. Hope everything goes smoothly for you too .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DailyDiversion View Post
    MsMummy,

You are still eligible for CCR if you are on paid or unpaid parental leave from your employment for up to 12 months.

http://www.familyassist.gov.au/payme...study-test.php

We are keeping our nearly four year old DD in daycare 2 days a week while I am on 11 months paid mat leave with number 2. This keeps DD's spot and allows us to book DS into the same centre with priority later in the year when I go back to work. Most importantly they also have a kindy/pre-prep program so it will help DD get ready for school.
    We are doing the same for DS (3) when bubs comes, I'll have 6 months off & he will still go his 2 days a week. It will also give me 2 days to spend just with the baby which I think will be great, DS loves kindy anyway!
    I didn't even think about losing the CCR so thanks for the info, we would be in big trouble without it as are not eligible for CCB.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I kept my 3yo DD in 2 days a week while I was on mat leave. It was welcome respite for both of us - especially in those early months when I was sleep deprived and unable to muster up the energy to be much fun. It also meant we kept our spot when I went back to work - plus it gave us 'sibling rights' for DS to get a spot there too.

I got CCR during that time luckily.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for asking this op. I worried about this but haven't thought about it. My dd attends the preschool I work at 4 days a week and new bub is due two weeks into the next FY so was worried the CCB will change. I hope to keep dd going 2 days just to keep the habit of going and allow me to have some onene time with newbie. I have thought of paying extra now until bub is born to get ahead to ease cc whilst on leave. I'm actually thinking my CCB might go down as I pay almost full fees now

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We can't afford to keep DS in. I used to work at the centre he's at so we will skip the queue (again) otherwise we would have had to keep him in to guarantee his spot. Also if he was kinder/pre-school age I would prefer him to stay in but as he'll only be 2.5 I don't see much benefit keeping him on.