Closed Thread
Page 115 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1239
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    LittleDove,I have no idea how it all works either.. Maybe because we're going through the public hospital system, not seeing a private FS? When my GP first discussed a FS with us, she said that we can use a private or public FS and gave me some numbers for both. I went with the public system as the wait time was only a couple of weeks more than the private FS. We went in having no idea how much anything would cost, apart from the knowledge that the consultation was completely covered by Medicare while the FS visit would have been $200+ and then we could claim some back on Medicare. When I was on the Clomid, I was paying for my prescriptions through the pharmacy of my choice but the FS visits, injections, scans and bloods have never been charged to us. I did have to go to a different department for a more in depth scan once which I had to pay $98 for but I got $85 back from Medicare for that.
    Do you girls have your actual FS carry out all the scans and bloods? I've only had a few consultations with the actual FS and everything, including the IUI is carried out by the nurses. They consult with a Dr after every scan/blood test and a Dr decides whether my dose should change/when to give the trigger shot etc etc but it's the nurses that I talk to all the time. This doesn't bother me though, in fact I think I prefer it as the nurses are all so lovely and they really do know what they're doing. They can usually predict from my scan what the Dr will advise to do, but of course that depends on my blood results so the protocol for me is to call back after 2pm so they can let me know what to do after the Dr has had a chance to review both the scan and bloods.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Injections Support Thread

Thanks Becca, i think I must be private then. Hmm, I'm a bit annoyed actually cos my Gp never explained the option of private vs public to me. She just gave me a referral letter and that was it so I assumed that was the only option. Yes I see a FS every time, he does all my scans. The nurse takes my blood but FS always calls to give me results and what to do with dosage. FS also does the IUI. I'd be interested to know how IVF works in the public system, costs and everything.

Thanks
    Reviews

Littledove I'm pretty sure it's not an option in QLD and with the state of our health system I don't know that I'd be keen to go through public anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews

Ah yeah, I keep forgetting its not just qld and the different states do thing differently at times, thanks greenfairy

almai is offline "you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."
    Thanks
    Reviews
    sorry to jump in but i am driving myself insane here and saw you guys talking about your clinics... DP and i have been questioning our clinic and thinking about changing for future attempts (if this cycle doesn't work or when DP tries) but after reading some other peoples stories (From UK) it seems our clinic is probably pretty much of a muchness... but i didn't know you could go public??

so far we are slightly over $11,000 (and the 1st insemination hasn't even happened!) but i guess $6,800 was for sperm so i that leaves about $4,200 for scans, bloods, FS / counselling appointments and the 1st IUDI cycle plus some meds... then it will be $1,620 per IUDI cycle thereafter if this one doesn't work... plus meds= $210 (or if BFP=$560 (for progesterone)).... medicare barely covers anything for us

anyway... i had a question... i am only having my 1st ultrasound tomorrow- CD16... they said they don't U/S untill estrogen is over 500?? yesterday mine was 452.... but can they tell how big the follicle/s are just by bloods???

last month whilst doing a tracking cycle, they think i ovulated late on CD17. so i am worried about what is going on or if thanks to the meds i'm on, i'll end up with too many follicles and the cycle will be cancelled?.. they don't even know how many follicles i have yet??

does anyone here have ultrasound/s leading up to O to monitor follicle growth or just 1-2 days before predicted O?

i think all this waiting and uncertainty is driving me crazy! i don't know how i will cope if this doesn't work... and i feel bad for thinking this way because it's only the 1st attempt and i need to be realistic. many people are trying again and again and survive... i hope i do too

and to all you lovely ladies on here... sorry for my rant

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi Almai I'll try respond to some of your question. I'm not sure about other states for public fertility treatment but pretty sure it doesn't exist in qld? $4200 sounds like a lot for iudi but I've not looked into it do don't know what it should cost or what you'll get back from Medicare? So no help at all there really haha

With regards to scans, I have one before I start, one after 7 doses of injections then depending on the growth every 2/3/4 days until the trigger injection. Because I'm doing timed sex I just pay for my appointments as I go and it's $160 each time including the scan then I get 80% back from Medicare - until I've had 3 appointments then it drops down and I get pretty much all back. I purchase my injections from whatever chemist I like at a cost of $35/ 3 pens. I pay extra for the trigger but it differs depending which one I have.

Hope that helps a bit, let me know if I can try help with anything else!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to greenfairy For This Useful Post:

almai  (30-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I get scanned on day 8 and also give blood then generally another scan and bloods 3-4 days later. Not sure they can totally tell follie size etc on just bloods, I think not, you can only tell how many are there by scanning, but I'm not totally sure. They are very 'scan and blood heavy' at my clinic... They like to monitor a lot

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh yeah, I also get scanned on day 1 too

Thanks
    Reviews

I think they can get an indication from blood tests as to how follicle growth is going but I don't have them I just have scans and I can see them all on the screen. From what I've read on here there is a mix of monitoring. Some have only scans, some blood tests, some a mix of both. I'm not sure if one is cheaper than the other? I do know though that I'm happy with scans and like being able to see exactly what's going on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Almai, I think the estrogen levels and size of the follicles usually correspond with each other. I was called back for the formal scan because my estrogen levels didn't match what they'd seen on the scans. I go for my scans and bloods at intervals pretty much the same as Greenfairy. What is involved in IDUI?
    I know for me, they have to juggle getting one or two dominant follices and not overstimulating. If I get anymore than 3 big follicles, they're likely to cancel my cycle due to risk of multiples.
    It might be worth chatting with the FS about them not scanning until CD16. I'm sure they know what they're doing and they do it for a reason that way but just for your own piece of mind so you understand why they're doing things.