+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't think there's a magical age that suits all babies to sleep through without feeding. It does probably irk me a little when people say 'babies over 6 months don't need to be fed at night' because I can tell you I know, for an undeniable fact my 6 month old was hungry at night, not waking habitually, but hungry. *Some* babies, even maybe *most* babies don't need to be fed through the night - I don't know, I'm not in the homes of most or some babies - but I was with my son and I do know he was hungry.

And it did stress other people way more than it stressed me that he was feeding at night. Everyone else seemed more distressed about him not 'sleeping through the night' than me. And in my down moments it made me feel like a crap parent. But nobody else knew my baby when they made the statement 'babies don't need to be fed at night', it just made me feel like I was doing something wrong.

Kristenh&chloe. My advice is go with your first instinct telling you it's not good for bub's. If you feel at some later point that it is habitual not hungry maybe give it a go if it feels right? But nobody knows your baby like you do - so trust yourself.

(at about 8 months I had a crack at offering water after being told to several times by a friend who had a friend who it worked for and jasper would just scream if I tried to feed him water instead of breast feeding him)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Californication  (10-01-2012),Chocolate All Gone Now  (10-01-2012),naebie  (10-01-2012),tatia&shura  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi OP,
    I agree that at 6 months it's totally normal for bubs to still be waking for a feed, and I'd wait a couple more months before you try to cut it out.

At around 8 months I started sending DH in to try to resettle without a feed for about half an hour first for the wakes before midnight. Because really, if bub has had a good dinner and lots to eat during the day, they are probably not actually starving at 10pm. After midnight I CBF trying to resettle, I just whack him straight on the boob (and DH is asleep then so I can't send him in).

After a bit, can't remember when exactly but probably around 10 months, DS dropped his night feeds by himself. Then he took one back up again, now it varies, some nights he sleeps through or is resettled by DH, other nights he'll feed once or twice.

Nightwaking PEAKS at 6 months I heard, so hang in there....

I breastfeed but one idea I've heard is to start gradually watering down the night bottles too? So bub is getting used to not getting so many calories at night and makes up for it during the day. Might be an idea...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Chocolate All Gone Now  (10-01-2012),tatia&shura  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    If your baby is hungry, feed it. It couldn't give a stuff if you want to sleep or not... and if you're getting up to give water anyway, how much more difficult is it to give formula instead?

My baby slept through from 3 weeks onwards... never an issue... but just because MY baby did that doesn't mean it's what babies should be expected to do. Some will continue to wake well past their first birthday... and that's completely normal.

I think it's not a good a move to deny a baby sustenance because you'd rather sleep.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Chocolate All Gone Now  (10-01-2012),Guest1234  (10-01-2012),kel87  (10-01-2012),tatia&shura  (10-01-2012),Witwicky  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would feed too. 6 months is stills very little. My DS is 2 and occasionally wakes at night and if he does I give him milk if he wants it.

There's no magic "one size fits all" for babies if you ask me. Some sleep through early like my DS, others don't until they are 2 or older.

OP, if you are happy to feed, then do it. Don't let your friends make you feel you are doing something wrong.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Chocolate All Gone Now  (10-01-2012),tatia&shura  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can I just clarify that I have not said that this is what I'm currently doing, or it is what in planning on doing?

Anyone that is implying that I am selfish and only thinking about myself may have missed that info.

For the record, it don't bother me all that much to feed him at night, he drinks then is back asleep pretty quickly.

It seems like some people are shooting me down for asking the question which I don't really think is fair. Since when is it bad to have more information?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tatia&shura For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kristinandchloe View Post
    Can I just clarify that I have not said that this is what I'm currently doing, or it is what in planning on doing?

Anyone that is implying that I am selfish and only thinking about myself may have missed that info.

For the record, it don't bother me all that much to feed him at night, he drinks then is back asleep pretty quickly.

It seems like some people are shooting me down for asking the question which I don't really think is fair. Since when is it bad to have more information?
    I don't think you are selfish at all.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

tatia&shura  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

It's not bad to ask for info at all, hunni. Just ignore the rude people and focus on the opinions and answers from the other, nicer posters.

It's not like you're asking if you should give up feeding your baby full stop! I have no advice to offer you other than to say it wouldn't hurt to give offering water a try. You'll soon find out if it's actual hunger or maybe just thirst and a little bit of help to resettle.

Good luck!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RainbowSky For This Useful Post:

tatia&shura  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

I don't think you are selfish at all

Some people can just jump and run with info without wording it well, which then in turn sounds a bit harsher than what it was intended to

I hope this thread has given you lots of different input for you to tweak and apply to YOUR situation

I'm no help though, I have been MAJORLY blessed with children that have slept through from a few weeks old.

Enjoy your son

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DQ For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (10-01-2012),tatia&shura  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

You have done nothing wrong honey

Take care xxx
    Last edited by DQ; 10-01-2012 at 21:16. Reason: unnecessary

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I hope you don't think I was attacking you. I wasn't. My first response was to you, my other two were in reply to what Kimberleygal1 was saying.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Chocolate All Gone Now  (10-01-2012)