+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was also given similar advice so as not to encourage them to wake and want a bottle at night, similar to a previous poster, it forms a pattern.

However,I was given this advice at 8mth, and so I think 6.5 mths still a bit young and yes I would give a bottle. Well, that was worked for us, a bottle would get her back to sleep.
    But you could try offering water first?

I think this advice makes sense, but more when the baby is eating 3 decent meals a day and food should take up most of thier nutritional requirements, around 10 / 11 mths in my case.
    DD is now 14 mths and when she wakes in the night, doesnt really want either water or milk, so something else causes her to wake.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manny For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (10-01-2012),tatia&shura  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    IT really depends on how much the baby is eating/drinking. With DS 1 I ended up at a sleep school at 10mo as he would wake frequently at night and would be an hour resettling with water or until I gave in and gave him the boob. He was genuinely hungry as a week before I went he had more formula during the day and before bed he slept for a 4 hours stretch. Needless to stay I pretty much started weaning straight away. I had been 'topping him up with formula' but he never seemed interested and it never seemed to make that much difference to his sleep habits until this one time. The sleep school was good and once we had his bottles and routine sorted out he was only waking once a night with a quick resettle with water.

do you do a dream feed at all? Feed before you go to bed?
    It also depends on how often your child is waking. If it is 2 hourly, then no, if it is at 2 or 3am I would consider offering a bottle. At some point you will need to break the habit but see what works for you and your family.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hullabalu For This Useful Post:

tatia&shura  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Personally I feed my baby whenever they are hungry not just when it suits me.
    Thankyou for implying that my mothering is based around my convience rather than my child's best interests... I was asking for some other info anyone might have so I could decide what is best for us.

Condesending me really wasn't all that helpful.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tatia&shura For This Useful Post:

RainbowSky  (10-01-2012),VintageLover  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou everyone for your replies. I really hadn't heard much about it and then suddenly 3 separate people brought it up. He is really good at self settling though and he does so quite often during the night.

The only reason I thought he may possibly be doing it out of routine is because in a 24 hr period he has 6x200 ml bottles plus 1-2 feeds, so it seems like he is getting plenty of milk!

Anyway, will just have to go with the flow I guess. I'm not used to the broken sleep though, my dd was sleeping through by now!

Thanks again for your replies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kristinandchloe View Post
    So I've had a few people tell me to give my 6.5 months old ds a bottle of water rather than a bottle of formula when he wakes for it at night.
    My first reaction is that it couldn't be good for bubs but just wondering what other peoples experiences are?
    I notice from your post that other people are giving you this advice. If you are happy to continue to feed bubs overnight then by all means go for it. I say this because after having 2 children who didnt sleep overnight until the age of 15 months for DD1 and 8 months for DD2 I came to the conclusion that other people were more concerned about it than I was. It seems that having a baby that sleeps through is the holy grail, means you've got a "good baby" !

I never actually gave water overnight so I dont have any experience, just wanted to tell you that if it you are happy to continue feeding him, then by all means go for it.

For the record, I fed DD1 overnight (usually around 3am) until she was 15 months old. She started sleeping through 2 weeks after she started walking, so she must have been tired out.

DD2 and I went to sleep school when she was 8 m/o because she was waking every couple of hours for a feed and I was too exhausted to keep going.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

tatia&shura  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are MANY ways of mothering and no one should be made to feel they are wrong for sharing..

I too believe that a happy healthy thriving 6 month old should be sleeping through the night without feeds :-)

Maybe a growth spurt too.. Try to settle with water.. If he is taking his milk/food requirements during the day then you know he is not waking out of hunger rather habit or something else...

Fabulous book called the sleep easy solution goes into detail on how to correctly ween those night feeds to make sure baby is taking requirements during the day!

Water at 6 months old is fine as long as you boil it.. Offer it after meal time too.. It's very good for them xxx
    Last edited by DQ; 10-01-2012 at 19:32.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VintageLover For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (10-01-2012),Blessedwith3boys  (10-01-2012),tatia&shura  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    In your eyes it seems a thriving baby is one that suits the parents' routine, making life easier. In actual fact, a baby will wake if it needs a bottle. They act on instinct.
    A thriving baby will be fed when it needs to, regardless of when that is.
    No that's not the case at all, how rude you are to imply I think this way to suit myself. Sigh
    Thriving meaning if baby is a healthy weight and getting what he needs through the day he shouldnt need a feed through the night after 6 ish months.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

VintageLover  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    No that's not the case at all, how rude you are to imply I think this way to suit myself. Sigh
    Thriving meaning if baby is a healthy weight and getting what he needs through the day he shouldnt need a feed through the night after 6 ish months.
    A 6 month old is still a BABY & is so for another 6 months.

People are offering advice & stating what they would do, which is what you asked.

If you want to offer go for it, but if bub doesnt want it be prepared for a scream fest.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TripleTime For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (10-01-2012),Californication  (10-01-2012),Chocolate All Gone Now  (10-01-2012),Guest1234  (10-01-2012),naebie  (10-01-2012),trishalishous  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleTime View Post
    A 6 month old is still a BABY & is so for another 6 months.

People are offering advice & stating what they would do, which is what you asked.

If you want to offer go for it, but if bub doesnt want it be prepared for a scream fest.
    I think you may be confused because I started this thread not kimberly?

And if not, then I have thanked everyone for their advice.
    Last edited by tatia&shura; 10-01-2012 at 20:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    My point is, when a baby is being fed does not determine if they are thriving or not. Going by that theory, my 18 month old is not thriving because she has her bottles overnight, not through the day . Babies are all different, with different needs. Some need bottles over night, some dont. They don't all fit in one stock standard box, and neither should they.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Californication  (10-01-2012),Chocolate All Gone Now  (10-01-2012),Purple Lily  (10-01-2012)