+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Term deposit bank accounts for kids.

Can anyone recommend me a bank/credit union account which will earn good interest? My DS1's account has crept up to several thousand dollars and it's not earning much just sitting in a normal savings account. I am yet to open one for DS2.

Preferably the accounts could have a monthly amount deposited in and we don't need to access the $$ so could have a 12 month minimum term (or whatever banks offer these days).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have a St. George savings account for DD. providing there is at least one deposit each month, she earns about 5.2% (was 6 something but decreased with interest rate cuts).
    If there is no monthly deposit it's something tiny like .75%.

**** I can spell, honestly! It's my iPhone's fault ****

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I can't go past ING Direct for term deposit accounts. I pay no fees and have it set up so the amount goes in straight from my nominated savings account.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our kids all have the Bankwest kids savers. I don't think there is a minimum deposit but there is a minimum of $250 a month I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read somewhere that there was no good bank account for kids due to the tax they will be charged when they can access it. This put us off having one for ds2, we invested the money in properties instead which will be left to them anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the info. I've checked out all suggestions... What a mine field! Seems like there isn't really anything that good for kids, I guess to stop their parents funneling all their cash away and avoiding tax! Kimberleygal - I wish I had enough money for investment properties but sadly that's not gonna happen unless I win Tatts...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah, I personally wouldn't go for anything 'specifically' set up for kids, as they can tax and fritter away to nothing if you don't keep a specific balance and deposit etc. I would be more inclined to find a good term deposit and earn interest that way, and they way it's harder to get money out and spend it too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have an nab isaver account for each boy. The accounts are in my name. I open a new account every 4 months to take advantage of bonus interest for new accounts.
    When we looked into it we concluded that this is what was best for us, and when we have a mortgage again we would put the money on that or an offset account, and keep a track of who's money is where; there by making more interest, by saving more interest paid to bank iykwim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    I can't go past ING Direct for term deposit accounts. I pay no fees and have it set up so the amount goes in straight from my nominated savings account.
    Same here and you can do it online so don't have to visit anywhere. They are not childrens account so they're in my name but you can give them a name so each account is named after a child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeamummy View Post
    Same here and you can do it online so don't have to visit anywhere. They are not childrens account so they're in my name but you can give them a name so each account is named after a child.

But you have to pay tax on profit with ING account, I had it for my girl with them but ATO asked me to pay tax and if the account for a child and you do not want to be taxed on the interest earned profit I was advised that I need to open a trust accound for my child. Never did it though...