+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Question Buying a new television, how do you make a good choice?

So I'm a tad excited at this probability, we have had our tv since I was 18 and it's time to move on

I'm really trying to make a good choice but I really have no idea where to start, we have looked at several different ones and honestly I can't be sure the sales people are just trying to make a quick sale, and I really don't want to make a regretful choice.

Some helpful information about our tv usage..
    We don't watch sports.
    We do watch lots of movies (not sure about 3d, we have watched one 3d movie at the cinemas which was good but not really thrilling, though that might of been the choice of movie!)
    Its for a light filled room, obviously darker at night but we do still have some light from the kitchen coming in.
    We would like a few hdmi sockets.
    We also play Xbox and watch foxtel on it.

Can anyone help with some guidance on what type to get?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We just brought a brand spanking new LG 3D smart tv, it's fully High def, LED screens, 3D, I love it, BUT one thing to keep in mind, and it may deture your decision, is that you will also have to buy a 3D dvd player and a 3D ampif you wish to watch 3D movies and get 5.1 surround sound. So all up it can be quite costly. Oh and then you will also have to buy the 3D glasses, ours cost us $89 per set and $49 for the kids sets.
    We watch Foxtel on ours, there is an awesome 3D station and everything looks so cool and Play Xbox again, we have games that are compatiable to play in 3D which looks awesome. And lastly we are massive movie buffs, and love 3D movies, we have a huge collection and all the movies look great on the TV.

TV's (like most electroncis) out date so quickly, you will find that you will buy something and then the next week, there will be something bigger, better, slimmer, etc. So for us we just decided to get a top of the range 3D tv, we knew that was what we wanted, and we had a price limit we wanted to stick to, ours cost $1900, the Amp was another $500 and DVD player another $200 plus we had to get 3D cable and a couple of other cables, but the manager put it all into a package deal for us, if we had brought everything individually, it would have cost around $2800, but we got it for $2500.

My parents just brought the new Samsung smart tv - all I can say is wow, fancy pants tv much it's completely compatable with Smart phones/tablets and really just.. fancy lol. It's got the same as our tv - LED, HD, 3D etc. But there 3D is much better, but they also paid more then we paid for our whole package for just the tv - think it was just under 3k But it really is as top of the range as it gets, and it looks awesome, it bairly has any border on it, it's like looking at a glass screen with TV on it.

My only tips are, find out what type of TV you want, then shop around for the best price, see if companies will do packages (most will) and then shop around once more to make sure you are getting the best deal. And get extended warranty.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Littlemissmetal For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The one and only thing I looked at when buying a new tv was power usage. I didn't want it running my power bill up. My friend got two new plasma's, then found her bill jumped by around $200 every 3 months .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to *Cj* For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We bought Panasonic and previously had LG.. Which I had nothing but probs with- but each to their own.

I've never had a problem with both 50inch teles we have and then went onto buying a Panasonic surround sound system/DVD player etc and it's been amazing! Won't change after this!

I've been told and from research before buying that Sony, Panasonic, Samsung are the best teles to get- they are getting so cheap now! Abd don't forget to bargain! They need your money remember!

And as PP said they will date do quickly! Our tele that we bought 2 years ago paid $1900 and now it's around $800-$900!

Good luck!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jessesgirl For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    my husband likes to research everything we buy before we buy it. he will go look at whats in our price range come home and google it, a bunch of forums with a lot of tech savy people usually will write reviews, write pros and cons etc. which is far better than reading it from a website where the person was paid to review it.

im glad DH does this, cause he has saved us from buying some complete duds (despite what the sales person is telling us)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We just bought a LG LED SmartTV with 3D. We werent looking for all the bells and whistles but we were talked into this one as this is the way technology is heading (apparently). More and more things will be broadcast in 3D especially after the end of this year when analouge is phased out. Another plus for us was that our glasses are cheap and you can even use the ones you get at the movies. Great for small kids as you dont have to worry about them breaking them.
    This one is 55in for $1494 and I was originally looking at a LG Plasma 60in for $1298 but without all the extra stuff. So only a few hundred more but it should last us longer.
    Good luck, looking for a new tv is confusing!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to My Beloved Ones For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We have a 3D Samsung that's all I know Its great, does rhe job well. DH is the electronics whizz.

We used the have an LG plasma so did ILs and Parents. We all had nothing but trouble with them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    my husband likes to research everything we buy before we buy it. he will go look at whats in our price range come home and google it, a bunch of forums with a lot of tech savy people usually will write reviews, write pros and cons etc. which is far better than reading it from a website where the person was paid to review it.

im glad DH does this, cause he has saved us from buying some complete duds (despite what the sales person is telling us)
    same here. our tv is just a normal flatscreen, but is hooked to the internet for my iview (and soon sbs on demand wooohooo!) and *ahem* downloads. power usage was an issue, and he have built in cabinet things, so it had to fit that.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by My Beloved Ones View Post
    We just bought a LG LED SmartTV with 3D. We werent looking for all the bells and whistles but we were talked into this one as this is the way technology is heading (apparently). More and more things will be broadcast in 3D especially after the end of this year when analouge is phased out. Another plus for us was that our glasses are cheap and you can even use the ones you get at the movies. Great for small kids as you dont have to worry about them breaking them.
    This one is 55in for $1494 and I was originally looking at a LG Plasma 60in for $1298 but without all the extra stuff. So only a few hundred more but it should last us longer.
    Good luck, looking for a new tv is confusing!
    Sounds like we have the same TV

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post

My DH researches everything, then researches some more

We've just bought a Samsung Smart 3D tv and he loves it. The picture quality is awesome and the 3D is WOW.

As others said, shop around and check online too. We live in a regional area and it was cheaper to buy online than local ... in the end a local store matched the online price.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-RaryGirl For This Useful Post: