+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Should I birth at home?

I am going a little crazy worrying whether I am doing the right things to avoid a repeat of my fairly traumatic EmerC which resulted in PTSD.

I am 24 weeks pregnant with #2, have decided not to go private OB route this timeand instead try birthing centre and have hired a doula. Apart from going private (!) I feel like I did everything right to avoid Caes last time: didn't allow doc to induce me at 41 weeks, went into labour naturally at 41+1, didn't go to hospital until I was 7-8 cm, no drugs but Foetal distress after 2 hours in pushing stage meant an easy (ish) decision to emerC.

I worry that the distress was caused by the fact that I was strapped to bed for CFM but whatever the cause I dont think I would have had the same problems at home. That said and particularly in light of my previous caesarean, I am not brave enough to home birth this time. Am I mam g a mistake? Can I trust the hospital/birthcentre to help me birth this bub naturally?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Only you can really answer whether you'd be comfortable having a homebirth, you have to be 100% comfortable with all that implies, just like any other birth and/or location.

If you do decide to go down the Hospital route, you've got more chance of less intervention and a natural birth etc, if you do it through the birth centre or with a midwifery case load program. Having a doula would also be beneficial too.

I have had 2 vbacs in a Hospital setting, both times with no doula, but a very strong birth plan, clued up husband and a 'hands off me' attitude. The second vbac I was fortunate enough to have midwifery caseload, so I had the same midwife tend to me from start to finish and therefore she knew ahead of time that I didn't want to be continually monitored, have internals etc, etc. I had both births with spontaneous labour, no drugs and pretty much left to my own devices. That said, I laboured at home till the eleventh hour and just made it with my second birth, in fact I never set foot in the delivery room!

With whatever you decide to go ahead with, it's such a big decision, especially when you have a history of PTSD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks U. I do have one M/W at the birth centre at the moment and am already finding her so much better than the OB who couldn't ever remember who I was!