Massage is such an important part of a baby's and toddler's sensory development. We often associate masssage with simply using oil and our hands, which is a fabulous start. However, massage is not only reserved for quiet or relaxation time. It is also a very useful tool to use when chatting or singing to explore not only touch but rhythm, beat, rhyme, new vocabulary or even a little fun and laughter together.

Here is a list of a few that will give a range of sensations depending on whether you stroke, swirl, dot or 'dab':
paintbrush
feather
silk scarf
nobbly ball
chiffon
fluffy mit (like the dusting mit)
bathing sponge ball (like the gentle exfoliating ball)
foam sponge
pom poms
ribbon
And there are many more if you have a look around your home. Just think about what might be interesting for your little one to feel.

All in all, massage is great for the developemnt of your child but by 'spicing it up' a little it becomes another fun, yet lovely way to bond and enjoy spending time with your special little person.

If you would like any ideas of songs or rhymes to sing while 'massaging' your child please contact me and I'll be more than happy to give you a few suggestions.

Hope you've enjoyed my first blog back after my unexpected break. As always, let me know if there is any specific area of play I can focus on to help with ideas.

Happy massaging!!!
More...