+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi just wanted to back up everything OJ said, there have been studies which have proven that in a low risk preg/birth there is no benefit to CFM at all, and in fact it results in more intervention than necessary because it picks up 'abnormalities' which are not actually 'abnormal' at all.It also reduces the mother's ability to be active (also contributing to intervention), and also takes the caregiver's focus off the mother, and onto a machine. I can attest to be being present at births where a CTG is being used, and its really hard not to look at it! A good midwife will use the doppler and be able to pick up if anything is going wrong. I would link the study but can't find it on a mega-quick google search, so I think I must've read it at uni.I was induced with my first and hooked up to the monitor, it was a bloody nightmare, I couldn't do anything, all I wanted was to sit in the shower and I couldn't. Unless there is other stuff going on (meconium, induction etc) I would refuse it. Even then, I'd try to negotiate 20 mins on/20 mins off so I could stay active for part of it. If they want to do a trace on admission, you can negotiate 20 mins, just make sure you hold it very still so they can't use the old excuse "We need to keep it on longer to get a better trace"!

For the 3rd stage, have you thought about delaying cord clamping for 5 mins or so, til its finished pulsating, then clamping and having the jab? That way baby will still have the benefits of delayed clamping but you are reducing your risk of PPH?
    I hope you get your waterbirth!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Myshadowfax  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With my DD2 & DD3 I was monitored for about 10 mins when I arrived (2 straps around my belly). It was all fine, so they stopped and let me get up again.

Both times they got me to lay down on the bed while they did it and I think if they had've insisted on monitoring for much longer, I would've ended up staying there for my whole labour which I really didn't want to happen.

Plus each time I was hooked up, DP was watching my contractions on the monitor and commenting "Wow that was a big one!", "Ooohhh is this one going to get higher? Oh. It's going back down. That was only a little one" so I was quite happy they didn't do it for too long.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 1234Guest For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Myshadowfax View Post

And as for placenta delivery there is a very strong history of extreme PPH in my family (we don't know if there is a medical hereditary reason or if its just a coincidence) so to be on the safe side my partner and I have decided on a managed 3rd stage - as much as I would love to do this naturally I just don't want to risk it if that makes sense.
    It does make sense, I chose the same path for myself for my first birth as my mother had an emergency hysterectomy after her last birth due to pph, so I chose a managed third stage as well...without actually researching it for myself and making an informed choice based on knowledge rather than fear, making birth choices based on fear is not a path you want to take, read up, give it a few days then make a choice not based on fear. You can always have the injection but you can't undo it, there are real risks to a managed third stage and I'm pretty sure your care provider didn't go through them with you? Do you know why they started managing third stages? Because of the mess, because they just wanted the birth done, not because it prevents pph, in some cases it actually leads to further complications.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Especially with your risk of PPH, I really really encourage you to drink nettle tea and raspberry leaf tea.... but only start at 37 weeks.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Books recommended by the OP would be great to read. Also, having chosen a managed 3rd stage, you can still ask your ob not to clamp & cut the cord too early (or until it stops pulsating) thus ensuring your baby get all of his/her blood containing rich stem cells

"Physiological studies have shown that there is a transfer from the placenta of about 80 ml of blood at 1 minute after birth, reaching about 100 ml at 3 minutes after birth" (WHO). Additional info on benefits etc are discussed here
    http://apps.who.int/rhl/pregnancy_ch.../en/index.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again everyone, you've given me a lot to think about and research!!

I am not adverse to the idea of delayed cord clamping at all, but I am really concerned about the risk of PPH so maybe delaying the clamping for 5 min or so would be an ok compromise. I have given the whole idea of a managed 3rd stage a lot of thought and for me its not so much a decision I'm basing on fear, more just me trying to manage risks.

I have some raspberry leaf I was going to start at 32 weeks and will look into the nettle tea as haven't heard about that one thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    I find it really sad that we have women believing that it doesn't matter if health professionals don't listen to you, and 'do what they want anyway'. If they are doing what they want without getting you consenting, then it is quite possibly assault. It wouldn't be accepted at home, or in the street, why should it be ok for this to happen to a labouring woman?
    I am pretty sure when you sign the admission forms you are giving your permission for any care they give you. so technically......

The way i figure it they are health care professionals, they know what they are doing, they are not going to do anything detrimental to my or my baby's health and well being.

The decisions the doctors and surgeons made saved both my and my baby's life. And quite frankly neither me nor my husband, would have been able to make a decision based on facts, we were all emotion.

We also did not have the relevant information or time to discuss and make an informed desission about the care we received. And if the decision is not informed then what is the point? Its eenie meeni minie mo, at least the profesionls are informed, they are the best people to be making the choice.

When we go to hospital to have a baby we are placing our lives in the doctors hands, we are trusting them to know their job and while we are entitled to our own opinion and consultation regarding our care, are we actually the best people at that point in time to be making some of those decisions?

The first thing our midwife at the antinatal classes said was dont set your birth plan in stone, we cant always stick to it and we dont want you getting up set or distressed when we cant. she also said that many people throw their plan out the window as circumstances change, emotions change and things just are not what you expected.

I can not understand how a band around the belly with out your permission is equal to assult. I do not follow the reasoning.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lonni For This Useful Post:

Arusaamatus  (10-01-2012),Myshadowfax  (11-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Lonni, I don't have a copy of an admission form to look at, but it wouldn't be an open consent to any and all treatment.

They should seek your consent for each separate thing.

And, I'm sure they mostly do. Unfortunately, sometimes they give the woman the impression that there is no other option, which is not properly obtaining consent.

It is irrelevant what is in the baby's best interest, as they should be obtaining proper informed consent.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (11-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It says in the admission form for my hospital that you consent to any treatment the doctors deem nesesary for saving your life, but not in those words, fancier ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't see how that would cover procedures like monitoring, stretch and sweep and other interventions.

there's no way something worded in those terms would be specific enough for a doctor to insert his or her hand into your body to attach a clip in utero.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (11-01-2012)