+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Continuous Fetal Monitoring??

Morning!!!

I'm 25 weeks with my first and had a routine appt with my ob yesterday. I saw the midwife first and she went through things with me like Vit K & Hep B vaccines for bub, Groub B strep swab, gestational diabetes, delivery of placenta etc which I'm fine with, but she has given me some 'homework' to read on fetal monitoring. I have to say, I went home and read it last night and the thought just does not appeal to me at all LOL.

The brochure she gave me was informative, and wasn't really saying I should or shouldn't do it either way so I don't really feel any pressure. Its just that when I picture labour / birth I'm not seeing me hooked up to belts and wires etc

My ob has told me that everything is going exactly as it should and so far I'm very low risk. If it continues to be this way, is there any reason why I shouldn't be able to just say no to fetal monitoring? Don't get me wrong - if the baby is at risk I'm happy for them to check hear beat etc, but I was planning on a water birth and continuous monitoring just does not fit in with my plans

You'll have to forgive my naivete, I just hadn't heard about this before!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you are low risk then there should be no need to monitor the baby's heartbeat during labor.

I was induced with DS due to complications so had to be monitored but they only used the belt for a bit at the beginning. Most of the time it was with a wire strapped to my inner thigh that connected to the baby's head. Once it was on I never noticed it and I could stand, walk around and even labored on the toilet for a while (which was surprisingly comfortable).

Another friend birthed a few days after me at a different hospital and she had a similar designed monitor that was waterproof so she still got to go in the shower.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to davally For This Useful Post:

Myshadowfax  (10-01-2012)

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Okay.. firstly , congrats on your baby!

Secondly... you DO NOT need CFM at all. Nor do you need all that other stuff really, but each to their own. I have had five babies (four births) and for my first (twins) I had exactly the same pressures as you... as it was, because of all the CFM and other BS monitors they had on me,, epidural, and other cr@p it really really interfered with my birth and I ended up with a CS... for no damn reason that couldn't have been prevented.

For my other births I said no.
    no monitoring, no shots, no cord clamping, no swabs, no, no no, no no!
    And I had three incredible, drug free, complication free births.

The midwives were actually amazed that I had so little bleeding after my fifth baby... (because being a fifth baby they expected heavier bleeding, and because I'm a redhead and apparently reds bleed more..... ) But I told them I'd been drinking nettle leaf tea for weeks and eating parsely to boost vitamin k levels and decrease bleeding.. and my doctor (who was chinese) said "yep, that would do it"

Don't let them make you think you NEED all that stuff. YOU DON'T.

Increase vitamin K levels before birth so bubs doesn't need the shot... (do this by drinking nettle leaf tea and eating LOTS of lettuce and parsley... this will also improve your hair and fingernails!)

If you're not a Hep B risk, bubs doesn't need the shot... they will have it at the 2 month immunisations anyway.

Keep bubs connected to the placenta for as long as the cord is pulsing, that way the bubs has the full benefit of all those incredible rich blood cells and womb goodness!

Before they give you the syntotocin to 'help' deliver the placenta... let your body have time.... your body will deliver the placenta anyway... tell them you want 30mins without the shot to let your body have a natural third stage... and when you're ready to deliver the placenta.. COUGH... Push the placenta out with a great big COUGH.

Drink raspberry leaf tea to help strengthen your uterus... start drinking at around 33 weeks.

internals- don't need them, don't do them. They honestly are pointless... if bub is ready, bub will come... all internals do is introduce risk of bacteria and turn the natural process of birth into a 'timed' process... as in (oh you're only 6cm... WE will GIVE you another 2 HOURS and IF you haven't PROGRESSED WE will SPEED it up. ) It's BS... don't do that to yourself.

If you are healthy and bub is healthy and you are low risk, there is absolutely no reason in the world you shouldn't be able have the wonderful waterbirth you'd planned.

Some more homework....... HIGHLY SUGGESTED READING: Gentle birth, Gentle Mothering... by Sarah Buckley. (see if you can get the first edition it's better than the revised one)
    Last edited by OJandMe; 10-01-2012 at 11:02.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (10-01-2012),BazzasMum  (10-01-2012),Bubbles10  (10-01-2012),headoverfeet  (10-01-2012),Myshadowfax  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a belt wrapped around my belly for my first delivery and did not even notice it was there, i wasnt given a choice they just did it.

From the babies heart beat they were able to tell when i was contracting, as i kind of just shut my eyes and bore it. It also made it easier for them to tell when the baby became distressesed.

I will tell you that birth never goes to plan, so have a back up to your first plan and then dont be too fussed if no one pays attention to it and does what they want any way.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lonni For This Useful Post:

Myshadowfax  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lonni View Post
    I will tell you that birth never goes to plan, so have a back up to your first plan and then dont be too fussed if no one pays attention to it and does what they want any way.
    I find it really sad that we have women believing that it doesn't matter if health professionals don't listen to you, and 'do what they want anyway'. If they are doing what they want without getting you consenting, then it is quite possibly assault. It wouldn't be accepted at home, or in the street, why should it be ok for this to happen to a labouring woman?

To the OP, good on you for researching now. Sarah Buckley is great, also Henci Goer 'the thinking woman's guide to a better birth', and Ina May Gaskin has some lovely stories of what women can do when they are respected and able to listen to their bodies.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (10-01-2012),headoverfeet  (10-01-2012),Myshadowfax  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by davally View Post
    I was induced with DS due to complications so had to be monitored but they only used the belt for a bit at the beginning. Most of the time it was with a wire strapped to my inner thigh that connected to the baby's head. Once it was on I never noticed it and I could stand, walk around and even labored on the toilet for a while (which was surprisingly comfortable).
    This wire is actually screwed into the babies head. This was done to my baby (without my consent) and she was left with a sore on her head that took more than 8 weeks to heal. Maybe comfortable for Mum (and the drs), but what about the baby?

Thanks
    Reviews
    As part of my hospitals admission when you are in labour, is to use a CTG to check the baby's HB during contractions. Bub was tachycardic so I ended up being stuck to the bed which made the contractions worse, which made me panic, which didn't help bub. But, in the end it was a good thing that I was connected because she was coming out sideways and was pressing on her cord. I had to have a forceps delivery.

I was a low risk pregnancy too.

In the end it's your decision, but if you want a natural water birth, I'd talk to your middies etc about as little monitoring as possible unless there is something wrong with bub.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What OJ&me said

For a laugh you can watch this http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...OROPNmdpt9lPFQ or you can check out the mybirth website for more info on CFM.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    There was a bit of blood in my waters when they were manually broken, so they put the clip thing on my son's head.

It restricted my ability to move around freely, and caused more anxiety when the alarm actually went off. The midwife phoned the dr, but they were busy so the alarm just kept going for ages before a dr actually came. It was fine anyway.

It's not something i'd recommend, but I agree that it's good to research beforehand. I stupidly just followed what the hospital told me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies ladies

It's good to know that if all is going well there is no medical reason for me to have to agree to CFM. I would probably be OK if they wanted to check things on admission to the hospital, but as long as everything is going to plan I think I will refuse it. My ob is wonderful and is very focused on women's choices in labor so I think I am lucky there

In regards to the vaccines I actually don't have a problem with this so will probably go ahead as I think for me personally it would give me some level of peace of mind. There is NO WAY I will be agreeing to an internal unless they can convince me without a doubt that there is an emergency.

And as for placenta delivery there is a very strong history of extreme PPH in my family (we don't know if there is a medical hereditary reason or if its just a coincidence) so to be on the safe side my partner and I have decided on a managed 3rd stage - as much as I would love to do this naturally I just don't want to risk it if that makes sense.

I realise that everything may not go to plan on the day, I just want to be as informed as I possible if that makes sense.