+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is it time to give up? :(

Hi Everyone,

I posted a few weeks back about my 7 1/2 month old refusing to breast feed. Well, I tried to offer him boobies for about 2 weeks every day, and now, just every now and then, but he continues to scream and push away... it became too stressful for both of us to continue to offer, so I have stopped.

He is now just over 8 months. I am trying to express 3 times a day, but my milk supply is dwindling and it is a struggle to get 40ml in 1/2 hr of expressing He will now drink formula from a cup which I am mixing with the breast milk. Do I just stop expressing now? I'm worried about him not getting all of the benefits that breast milk brings... but is he getting any benefit from such a small amount of breast milk (or is a little better than none). Any ideas on how to increase my supply. I also have a 3 yo and I'm finding that the time 'away' from him has doubled by the time I feed bubby and try to express... I just don't think it's very fair on him and he is feeling it.

I was so much hoping that he would return to breastfeeding, but it's just not going to happen. He eats really well and is having plenty of wet nappies, and I also think I've got his constipation under control. I really didn't want to continue giving him formula, but looks like I'll have to. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best formula to buy?

Please tell me what you think... you guys give the best advice!!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Have you seen a LC? Sorry I can't remember if you said you have though I do remember your other thread

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe he just self weaned? A cousin of mine had the exact same thing with her DD, breastfed her at night put her to sleep, went to feed her in the morning and her DD didn't want a bar of it.

Sorry I'm not much help, maybe see an LC if you're concerned, but I think you've done a fabulous job to make it this long

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sjay For This Useful Post:

BeanieBaby  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also DS weaned himself from formula at 10months and we just moved on to cows milk - I guess that could be an option for you too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds was the same. He was never a.great feeder but starting pushing me away at 5months. We mix fed at 6 months and then he was FF fully at 7months. I used Bellamys organic formula from Coles after a LOT of research and label reading! I decided I felt most comfortable with that and i liked the idea that it is made from Australian cows that roam and graze on organic pastures. It smells and looks nice and natural (unlike other formulas like S22). He never had any issues on it and I will use it again for DD if that time comes (hopefully not, she is a boobie girl!)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to breakthemould For This Useful Post:

BeanieBaby  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Have you seen a LC?
    No I haven't... am off to the doctor tomorrow with my big boy, so might ask her what she thinks and if I should try to see one (not too sure if we've even got one)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by breakthemould View Post
    I used Bellamys organic formula from Coles after a LOT of research and label reading! I decided I felt most comfortable with that and i liked the idea that it is made from Australian cows that roam and graze on organic pastures. It smells and looks nice and natural (unlike other formulas like S22).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Thanks for that! I will definitely give it a try.

Thanks for your comments and advice. Yes, I definitely think he has self-weaned. Was most definitely not part of my plan!!!