+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cert III in Children's Services Q's and Costs

I was just wondering if anyone would mind sharing where they did their Cert III Children's Services, was the course/course provider good?
    Did you enjoy it and are you in gainful eployment now?
    Did you gain emplyment while studying?
    and most importantly, are there any providers who offer reduced rates for single parents and how much did it cost you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did mine last year through Metropolitan south institute of tafe in qld, it was 2 days a week study plus one day a week of prac and also a block week of prac. The prac in total was 180 hours. I found attending the tafe a lot more motivating than doing it online and the tutors were very approachable and helpful. It only cost me a couple hundred dollars because it is government funded in QLD if you do the certificate by enrolling into the diploma of children's services. Text books were another $100. I finished the certificate last year but didn't go on to do the diploma or look for employment as I am due in March. It is very easy to get a job though, I was offered work at my daughters daycare, and my friends who did the course with me have had no trouble getting a position in a child care centre. I see you are on the north side of Brisbane? MSIT only offer it at Alexandra Hills or Loganlea so that may be too far for you. But I'm sure any QLD Govenment Tafe should offer the diploma at a funded rate.
    Last edited by inertia; 10-01-2012 at 10:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply, inertia good luck with the impending birth of your belly bub!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did mine through TAFE (nsw.) I was on a Centrelink payment so only paid the concession rate ($52) for the course.

It was good, my teachers were excellent and there was a large focus on practical learning. I did discover that formal childcare isn't really for me, so I didn't continue on to the Diploma. If you want to earn a decent wage you really need to, though.

Many of my classmates gained employment during the course (I went part-time) and more afterwards. There's a pretty high demand out there for childcare workers, and Cert 3 has or is becoming the minimum requirement, I believe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    what is the salary like I have thought about it but money is no good

Thanks
    Reviews
    i did mine through online course, self pace study, through HBA. it was great! cuz i already have degree in victoria, so i am eligible for any gov. fund. it costs me 800 which is the lowest price possible to find. the salary is great, i get paid 19 hr before i even finished my study.

Thanks
    Reviews
    19 now what about when finished, 19 is not that great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I did my diploma through TAFE nsw. It cost me nothing as I was already on centre link payments
    Cert 3 through TAFE is 6 months with a prac placement. And very easy to move into the diploma to finish

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm currently doing my cert III at the metropolitan south institute of tafe. It takes 9 months ( 3 terms), 4 days at tafe and 1 day of prac each week. I actually really enjoy the course and plan to go on to do the diploma as the government funding makes it very cheap to do. Apparently you are more employable if you study the course through tafe as it's more in-depth with a better reputation. the child care industry is making lots of changes ( in qld) and yes it's quite easy to get a job as there is huge staff turn overs. The pay is crap. My teachers say you don't become a child care worker for the money... It's the passion. Starting rate could start from $16 per hour and rises every year of experience. If you have a diploma I think the pay starts at $20 per hour and rises. For me, that pay is horrible. Down the track I personally plan to do my early childhood degree to actually be a qualified teacher with better pay.
    But in saying that, working with children is the most satisfying ( job and career wise) I have ever done!! Good luck!