+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How does Paid Parental Leave work?

Can anyone shed some light on how the whole paid parental leave thing works?

I'm not even pregnant yet but am doing my best to plan ahead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have a look on the family assistance website

Thanks
    Reviews
    if your working at the time u go for maternity leave (i.e you'll still be an employee whilst on leave) than your employer has to pay you maternity leave payments. You than use the centrelink income estimator to check whether you'll benefit more from baby bonus payment or paid parental leave payment. The hospital will give you the paid parental leave/family tax benefit/medicare form when you get discharged from hospital which you fill and mail to centrelink. On the form you opt for baby bonus or pais parental leave payment which ever is more beneficial for you . At the ssame time you will have to fill out the online paid parental leave form (i think its F or A 100?? ) , the paper form will say which online form to fill. When you fill the online form it will tell you which relevant documents you'll have to submit (if any).
    I got very confused reading the centrelink info online so called them and asked everrything. also I talked with the admin people at my work who also explained alot of things .. If you are working than as you admin deparment.
    For me , I received 14weeks pay from work and applied for baby bonus (that worked out more for me). Hope this helps alittle ..its VERY confusing !! Do call centrelink after you read the online information.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Samar81 pretty much explained it. I got the benefits from my employer then PPL. The amount you can earn is $150,000 single income per year for the PPL whereas the amount is $75,000 combined in the 6mths following the birth for the BB so the PPL worked best for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi countrymumtobe, I'm Marian, I work at the Department of Human Services in a team that responds to enquiries about Centrelink on social media sites like this one.

The Paid Parental Leave scheme allows eligible working parents to get 18 weeks of government funded Parental Leave Pay at the rate of the National Minimum Wage (currently $589.40 a week before tax). Check out the Paid Parental Leave page on the Human Services website here: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/Centrelink/parental-leave-pay

You don't have to wait til your baby is born - you can lodge a claim online 3 months before your due date, but it won't be finalised until after your child is born and you have formally registered the birth. There's more info about the claim process here;

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/forms/claim_forms_baby_bonus.htm#identity

If those pages don't answer your questions, there's heaps of great information about Paid Parental Leave on this webcast on the Centrelink website; http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/individuals/ppl_working_parents_webcast.htm It answers a whole lot of questions about how the payment works, and has different scenarios.

If you need to speak to someone about your specific circumstances, you can give the Family Assistance Office a call on 13 6150.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Marion, this confuses me as I've read that paid parental leave and baby bonus work out to be similar amounts (around 5000 in total) but 18wks at $589 comes to around $10,000.

Does the PPL amount vary from person to person or is every eligible person entitled to this amount? I guess I will soon find out with baby due in a couple of weeks. I've done the online application.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The amount you get for PPL will depend how much your joint income is, tax, etc. I did the calculator and I only get $55 more from PPL than the baby bonus!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    i get 1002.80 a fortnight after tax but i also don't receive any ftb with the ppl plus its taxed whereas bb isn't you can do a calculation online and enter your details and it will tell you which one your better off getting

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Marion, this confuses me as I've read that paid parental leave and baby bonus work out to be similar amounts (around 5000 in total) but 18wks at $589 comes to around $10,000.

Does the PPL amount vary from person to person or is every eligible person entitled to this amount? I guess I will soon find out with baby due in a couple of weeks. I've done the online application.

Hi TheWillowTree. As others have mentioned, the difference is that the Paid Parental Leave is a taxable payment, so depending on your earnings for the rest of the tax year, you may receive a lower net payment.

If you're eligible, you can receive Family Tax Benefit Part A during your Paid Parental Leave period, but not Part B.