+ Reply to Thread
    AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What are the 'rules' for upgrading car seats?

DD is 19 mnths, 13.5 kg and super tall (she looks like an average 2.5 YO)

The top of her head is poking over the top of her car seat. Does that mean it's time for a new one?

It is a 'mothers choice', newborn-18kg. She's still got HEAPS of room on either side, she's just growing out of it length ways.

Does that mean we need a new one? And what one? What are the rules/safe guides?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe, I guess if you were in an accident her head would not be protected. Maybe you could go to your local babystore and have a chat to them and have a look at a few seats. If you plan to upgrade maybe look at the safe n sound maxi rider its from 8kg through to 26kg (with the implementation of a protecta harness once the child reached 18kgs I think). We put our DD into a maxi at 16 months and she is now 4 and quite tall and fits in it perfectly although we need to remove the 5 point built in harness and have the protecta harness put on as she is around 19 kg. Also in terms of how high the seat is my nearly 8 year old still fits in it without a problem and he is not too tall for it. These seats retail for around $280 but you would expect to get a lot of use out of it

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subscribing. There is lots of stuff saying once their shoulders are above the top shoulder harness points but nothing about the top of the head being above the top of the seat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it is different in regards to the law in every state and territory? However if her head is above the top then she isn't safe if there is side impact in a crash, so I would move her into a bigger seat . My DD1 is the same and we had to move her into one of those big booster type seats with the inbuilt harness before she was 2, but her shoulders were also at the top so we knew we had to change her. I think in Vic the head cant be above the seat, but Im not 100% sure, that's just what was said to us by a car seat person yesterday. I just loooked into it because a friend said my DD1 might need to move to a booster and the normal car seat belt because she is the weight and height of a 6 year old even though she hasn't turned 4 yet. I thought in Vic they had to be aged 4 minimum to go to just a booster, but when I looked it up, the ages are more of a guide, and the safest way to go it by their weight, height and fitting in their seat guides. Most states have a website dedicated to the law