+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Co sleeping tips please :)

Hello people Apologies if this is in the wrong place but I figure this area gets the most traffic.

Anyway, reason I'm posting is that I need some safe co-sleeping tips. I am on my own with dd for 3 weeks out of every month. The other morning I fell asleep while she was in the bed and dh wasn't there and she rolled off and hurt herself. I felt and feel so bad about it and I want to stop it happening again. To those who co sleep and who are on their own most of the time, how do you make it safe. Other than the obvious of putting bed against a wall (can't do that, our room is too small ), do you use a rail? I've tried heaps of things to make sure she sleeps through but it just isn't happening anymore!

Help please

Thanks
    Reviews
    Easiest thing to do is put the mattress on the floor... takes a bit of getting used to but sleep filled peaceful nights lie within reach thereafter

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AllYouNeedIsLove For This Useful Post:

CakeyLoaf  (09-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Last time I checked out SIDS, the recommendations for co-sleeping were:
    - don't sleep with baby if you drink/smoke/take medication
    - sleep with baby with mattress on floor
    - do not have thick doona, use blankets
    - don't have pillow near baby

Can't remember the rest but it's always good to check out the sids guidelines, they are the experts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

CakeyLoaf  (09-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies, thanks for the replies , I get all the notv using pillows and blankets so that's a;; good. It's moreso how to stop her rolling out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having a blonde moment, I guess the matress on the floor would stop any rolling accidents- duh! No more drink bhing for me...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know they say no pillows but when DS was younger and my DP was away I would put a few pillows along the edge of the mattress where DP would usually sleep. That worked untill he started crawling. Now our mattress is on the floor coz of renovations. Its great coz I don't have to worry about him falling off all the time and don't have to keep checking on him every two secs with his day naps. But when our bed is off the floor will look into getting some side guards or rails.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tazzy For This Useful Post:

CakeyLoaf  (09-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally get a rail. Ours is made of a mesh fabric with a metal frame. So bub could breathe through it if they rolled their face against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lulululu View Post
    Totally get a rail. Ours is made of a mesh fabric with a metal frame. So bub could breathe through it if they rolled their face against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Oooooh, a rail spounds good but I thought they were only for toddler beds. Can you get some that fit on 'normal beds'?. Don't really fancy the bed on the floor (I keep my shoes under the bed)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I put the bub right in the middle of the bed and pillows on the side I'm not. Wrapping stops the rolling/moving but you could always push that side over to a wall and have you on the side the wall is not. It's hard co sleeping with ur first, you find out the hard way what works and what doesn't, hope your bubbas fall was on carpet unlike my first, although mine wasn't so young, she was 4m and started rolling... It happens, you live you learn unfortunatly. you do become responsive as time goes by with CS too, by the 3rd baby I sleep with 1 eye open I swear! Lol

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to shinebrite For This Useful Post:

CakeyLoaf  (09-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I co-sleep and have done since birth! A mesh bed rail is what we use - bought from Target and wedged in under a normal bed - yes, it can go under any mattress.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosymum For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (10-01-2012),smallpotatoes  (10-01-2012)