+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just turned 28 and I've never had one. My mum had cervical cancer when I was around 13/14 so she's always bugging me about it.

I guess the reason may be because I don't have a regular doctor, we just go to the local medical clinic and see whoever is on - and there is no way in hell I'd be comfortable with ANY of them giving me a pap smear

Maybe one day I'll get one. Who knows.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by jade24 View Post
    I just turned 28 and I've never had one. My mum had cervical cancer when I was around 13/14 so she's always bugging me about it.

I guess the reason may be because I don't have a regular doctor, we just go to the local medical clinic and see whoever is on - and there is no way in hell I'd be comfortable with ANY of them giving me a pap smear

Maybe one day I'll get one. Who knows.
    If you're not comfortable with your local gps doing one, you can always go to your local family planning clinic. I move around a lot and don't often get a rapport with a Doctor in such short spaces of time, so I get my done at FP by female Doctors or at 'Well woman' clinics.

(That's of course if your reason for not having had one is your current Doctors, feel free to ignore the above if you have other reasons).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    If you're not comfortable with your local gps doing one, you can always go to your local family planning clinic. I move around a lot and don't often get a rapport with a Doctor in such short spaces of time, so I get my done at FP by female Doctors or at 'Well woman' clinics.

(That's of course if your reason for not having had one is your current Doctors, feel free to ignore the above if you have other reasons).
    I guess at first, when I was younger, it was just embarrassment that stopped me getting one but now it's more of a time and no suitable GP issue. Certainly there has never been anything majorly significant that has prevented me getting checked.

I hadn't really thought about going to a women's health clinic or similar, so I'll try looking them up soon. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have not been for 3 years, I had one of those ultrasounds for another thing and there were no abnormalities but they still wanted me to get a pap to be safe..that was 6 months ago.

I am not afraid of the procedure just dislike sitting in a waiting room full of sick people who do not cover there mouths when then cough or sneeze!

Plus they only do it a certain times, as a woman nurse/doctor HAS to be present now, I even had it done infront of student doctors once(my second pap) .... but now my male doc cannot do it alone its their policy
    Last edited by fairyflossfairy; 10-01-2012 at 14:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have never put my pap smear off except for when I was pregnant where I will have one at my 6 week check. I too had the colposcopy and letz loop procedure for a CIN3. I have had yearly paps since. I went from having minor cell changes CIN1 to CIN3 in a very short space of time even-though they say the cervical cells usually change slowly...I am glad I got a pap smear regularly or who knows what it could have developed into if i had left it. It's uncomfortable yes, but if you have a good female doctor (who does this daily and wouldn't have second thoughts about what she sees down there) it is piece of mind. Cervical cancer is very preventable by regular pap smears.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I get mine every 2 years without fail. I don't even need the reminder from the GP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have one every two years as is recommended. No issues yet thankfully.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    never had one. I have discussed it with a doctor and she agreed that the current procedure would be too traumatic to do, so was fine for me not to have it done.
    Same. I do care about my body/my likelihood of dying from cervical cancer, but when I assess the risk against my mental well-being, it is much better for me to not undergo the procedure.

I have been trying to work myself up to it for almost 10 years ... it is just not going to happen.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well today when i was at the doctors I mentioned that I hadn't had one yet so he explained everything and was really nice about it and it wasn't as bad as I thought

It feels good to have finally had one an not worrying about not having had one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    Yes, I get a pap smear yearly, as my Mum survived stage 4 cervical cancer.

Mum's cervical cancer was not from having HPV, she had always had regular pap smears which came back normal, however the 3 years it took between her pap smears she had developed break through bleeding which her GP told her was 'just her age'. I urged her to get a second opinion, as she was only in her mid forties and by then she was given a few months to live.

Thankfully, she came through it, so now my sister and I are sticklers for getting ours every year.

I worry about ovarian cancer, as there is nothing to test for that and the symptoms are so general that the could be mistaken for any number of things in terms of womens sexual health.
    Woah boy, did this post hit home for me.

My mother also survived cervical cancer - stage 3. I was 11 the year she beat it.

Last year, I, my doctors, my family and my husband spent the best part of 2 months in the "watch and wait" period that happens before a diagnosis of Ovarian Cancer. Luckily, the cyst was benign but my goodness I would not wish that on anybody...cancer OR waiting whilst undergoing so many invasive tests. There is a blood test they use in conjunction with internal ultrasounds to screen for OVCA, it's by no means a diagnostic tool and has a high inaccuracy rate. (CA 125)...wish I never had the damn test because I found out that it can be raised due to a number of things (including benign ovarian cysts), obviously finding out you have an elevated CA 125 along with a cyst puts fear into ones heart and their families heart too though .

Like I said in a previous post, I have PTSD and nothing comes before my mental health. Nothing. That means I do not get pap smears as often as I should even given my family history. I did however have to have one last year and while it was unpleasant (and is still giving me nightmares), I'm glad I did it and luckily there's nothing seriously wrong "down there"
    Last edited by Pinkzy; 10-01-2012 at 16:37.