+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StretchmarkBarbie View Post
    Every two years. Will not risk cervical cancer just for a few minutes of being uncomfortable. I also check my breasts on the first day of every month. Such small things can make a huge difference
    I've been having some breast problems and during my research I read that the monthly breast checks weren't really helping to find early breast cancer. The particular health site I came across (wish I saved it) said it is now recommended to "get to know your breasts" and note any changes in shape, size etc and have any changes you or your partner may come across in daily life checked.

I still think the monthly check won't hurt but sounds like, unfortunately, it's not as effective as hoped

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know people wont like my opinion on this but i am going to put it out there.

I think if you havnt had them (papsmears and mamograms if you have family history) before having children thats fine you dont have dependents that need you around, once you have a child you have stated (by not aborting/adoption out your child) that you will put your child first and foremost, so if you have to you will have a **** job to provide for them, you will be a good rolemodel and you will be around to look after and care for them, so you owe it too your child to make sure you are healthy and cancer free so if you get cancer you will catch it asap. I also think more so women with daughter/s should have more of a resposibility to your daughter/s to make papsmears and mamograms not so scary and teach them to know their breasts and explain from a young age why that are SOO important and men need to teach their sons why its so important to know you scrotum and what to do if something feels different.

Now i was raped and molested for 3 years from when i was 8 to 11, but i have had about 8 papsmears(and 1 mamogram), i have been having them since i was 14, which was when i started having consensual sex. I had 2 tests come back abnormal which they said was actually contaminated in the lab or when it was done. I think me knowing i am doing it for my child and future children takes away the thoughts of my abuse during the procedure, because it is being done for the right reasons, i have had a few different doctors do it and at the start i tell them i am a sexual assult victim and they have always been very gentle.

I am *lucky* (for lack of a better word) that i have been exposed to breast cancer and cervical cancer by my cousin being diagnosed by both of them and many other cancers between her 20's and 30's. I still remember seeing her children (my 2nd cousins) cry for 'no reason' randomly. If it was left upto my mum i would be the same as my sisters that are 25 (still a virgin), and 28 that all have never had a papsmear or mamogram, my older sister that is 27 has had both(but just once) because she had hodgkin's lymphoma. The other 2 are too scared because of the way my mum is about papsmears and mamograms, she is 51 and she hasnt had a papsmear since before i was born (almost 20 years) and has never had a mamogram and always says how painful they are, well mine wasnt painful but it was uncomfortable but it only lasted about 15 minutes.

Now i am off to find out WTH is going on with my ob/gyno appt as i am due for my next papsmear and 12 month check up.

I really dont want to cause offence but i think as our childrens parents we owe it to them, by my cousin being check early and regularly she is still around and her youngest turned 16 in october.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orris Apjoko For This Useful Post:

Chocolate All Gone Now  (10-01-2012),jessesgirl  (10-01-2012),SimpsonDesert  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I am up to date with mine, doesn't bother me at all to have it done. I like to know what's going on with my body. I have had one abnormal result in the past, but it cleared up by itself and currently my pap smears are 2 yearly (last one was 3 months ago, results normal and I am due to go again in 2 years).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I work in the field of cervical cancer prevention - Pap smears are an amazing invention and are absolutely brilliant at preventing 90% of cervical cancer.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

doglover  (10-01-2012),SimpsonDesert  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I have only had 1.

Laziness is all that's stopping me from getting another. I don't like my GP enough to have them do it... but I am too lazy to look for somewhere else.

Hopefully when I get my car, I'll drive to a health clinic and get someone to do it (I got my first one done by a midwife... I think? I wasn't pregnant, but I'm sure that's what she was... ).
    Call family planning in your state.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope. I'm also in my 30s and haven't had one, which my doctor is ok with.

StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I've been having some breast problems and during my research I read that the monthly breast checks weren't really helping to find early breast cancer. The particular health site I came across (wish I saved it) said it is now recommended to "get to know your breasts" and note any changes in shape, size etc and have any changes you or your partner may come across in daily life checked.

I still think the monthly check won't hurt but sounds like, unfortunately, it's not as effective as hoped
    Lol sorry to go off topic OP. Benji I actually do the monthly check but also DH "checks" them. He knows my breasts better than I do and notices any and all changes.

Back to topic now.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get them yearly. I had a CIN III a few years ago & watched my mother die of cervical cancer

My Mum went 5 years between check ups. Instead of a painless 5 min pap smear, this is what she went through:
    - Full hysterectomy (6 weeks recovery)
    - Chemotherapy & brachytherapy
    - Extensive pelvic surgery where they removed her bladder and section of her bowel. These were replaced with urostomy (wee) & ileostomy (poo) bags. It was a 10hr operation and she was pain for months afterwards. She never fully recovered, but was *better* after about 12 weeks.
    - More chemotherapy
    - Reconnection of bowel & closure of stoma to remove ileostomy bag.
    - Hospitalised after loss of speech & motor functions (cancer spread to brain). Passed away 10 days later. She was 46.

With every one of those there was a huge financial burden. My step dad is now left with a huge mortgage, and no-one to help him pay it, because they had to refinance the house for Mum's surgeries and to pay bills while she wasn't working.

I understand people have their reasons for not getting their pap smears, but to this day I cannot forgive my Mum for her carelessness in neglecting such a simple check up. Its easy for her now, she's in a better place... we're the ones left picking up the pieces after watching her die a horrible death.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lindylou78 View Post
    I get them yearly. I had a CIN III a few years ago & watched my mother die of cervical cancer

My Mum went 5 years between check ups. Instead of a painless 5 min pap smear, this is what she went through:
    - Extensive pelvic surgery where they removed her bladder and section of her bowel. These were replaced with urostomy (wee) & ileostomy (poo) bags. It was a 10hr operation and she was pain for months afterwards. She never fully recovered, but was *better* after about 12 weeks.
    - More chemotherapy
    - Hospitalised after loss of speech & motor functions (cancer spread to brain). Passed away 10 days later. She was 46.

With every one of those there was a huge financial burden. My step dad is now left with a huge mortgage, and no-one to help him pay it, because they had to refinance the house for Mum's surgeries and to pay bills while she wasn't working.

I understand people have their reasons for not getting their pap smears, but to this day I cannot forgive my Mum for her carelessness in neglecting such a simple check up. Its easy for her now, she's in a better place... we're the ones left picking up the pieces after watching her die a horrible death.
    lindylou78 i am so sorry for you loss but completely agree, we owe it to our family!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lindylou78 View Post

- More chemotherapy

This is exactly what I was talking about when I got flamed. I feel your pain

13. The Following User Says Thank You to doglover For This Useful Post:

SimpsonDesert  (10-01-2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast