+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    forkie- yeah sounds like I need someone like that
    all the doctors I've been to around here
    and Brisbane are hopeless and very in and out appointments

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    I've never had one....are they uncomfortable?
    yes i find them slightly uncomfortable.

they have a 'thing' that holds your vagina open (that doesn't hurt at all) and they then insert a cotton tip kinda thing to take a sample from from your cervix. While they take the sample it feels kinda like a pressure down there and then you can sorta feel a bit more pressure and a little pinchy feeling (as they take the sample).

then its all over and I never feel any pain/discomfort after. As soon it its done, it doesn't hurt.

I wouldn't even say it hurts, it just abit uncomfortable - kinda like a bad period pain/cramp/pinchy thing combined with a feeling of slight feeling of pressure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've always been told by the dr doing it (and moving around a lot has meant I've seen a numbe rof drs) that it should never be PAINFUL. Uncomfortable yes but painful no. They gave always said to make sure I tell them if it is at painful.

Me + He = DD1 (2007), DD2 (2010) & BellyBaby due August 2012
    Angel Baby 1 (July 2008) & Angel Baby 2 (October 2011)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I went looking and found a newspaper article referencing that british medical journal article I was referring to. I personally am not a fan of pap smears. It isn't a fear of them or anything, just my own informed decision. Generally speaking vaginas are pretty nifty. They have the ability to clean themselves. There is also a large portion of women who have had their cervix's damaged even mildly which some believe causes issues with the cervix dialating in labour. I may change my mind in future but for now I am content in not routinely running up to the doctors to have them scrape my vagina.
    hmm, food for thought thats for sure. Im not sure what I think tbh?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ive had 1 and I dont intend on having any more. Ihave my personal reasons and I dont let doctors or friends try and guilt me into it

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    27 and never had one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have them regularly. A friend had never had one and at 27 she's had to have a full hysterectomy due to cervical cancer....

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to put them off, then in 2010 had one due to bleeding between periods. It came back abnormal. Talk about petrifying. I had to get a Colposcopy and they took a biopsy of my cervix...it came back clear, but was a huge wake up call.

Now I plan on having them every two years. Pap smears can prevent cervical cancer, it's so worth it for just a few mins of being uncomfortable every two years.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

kel87  (09-01-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (09-01-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm nealry 35 and never had one. I have discussed it with a doctor and she agreed that the current procedure would be too traumatic to do, so was fine for me not to have it done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by siansmum View Post
    You know, I'd much rather have a Pap smear than go to the dentist! I'm absolutely petrified of the dentist, but having a Pap smear doesn't worry me at all. I've never had any discomfort having it done and honestly, after having given birth twice, a Pap smear is a walk in the park!
    This is me. I would rather have a filling than cancer.
    As another PP said "a walk in the park" after 3 kids.