+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    has anyone explained how they do it?
    what do you mean? how they do a pap smear haha? yeah I've been in with my friend and she made me look at the tools hahah hense my avoiding

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had my first a few weeks ago. All is well.

My doctor is WONDERFUL!

She explained everything she did, she let me touch all the stuff she used to feel it (disposable, so anything I touched got chucked), as she was doing stuff she was telling me what and asked me if I could feel it (the cervix as she scraped it) and then she did a VE to feel my uterus etc, taught me how to properly check my boobs and was so thorough and attentive!

Honestly, it was the best experience I could have hoped for considering what it was and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend her to anyone.

If you do have a doctor you trust, book one, tell them it's your first and ask them to explain what they're doing!

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    There has actually been some very interesting research in recent times about the need for pap smears, how often they should occur and at what should they start happening. Here is a great read from the Australian Medical Journal
    There was also another article quite a few years ago that showed that 1000 women needed to be routinely screened for 35 years to save one woman from cervical cancer. And of those 1000 women 135 would receive abnormal results that would not be cancer.
    that is really interesting. I had my first pap smear at around 22 I think? It was abnormal, I got a colonoscopy and had to have laser. Since then all my pap smears have been normal (I have one inconclusive and had to have colonscopy which was clear). They believe the cell changes where probably due to HPV and said the laser was a prevenative to stop any further cell changes. I wonder if it would have resolved itself? I don't mind getting them, but I have heard of women who chose not to get them ever.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EmPowering View Post
    what do you mean? how they do a pap smear haha? yeah I've been in with my friend and she made me look at the tools hahah hense my avoiding
    oh yeh that equiptment is freaky, I never look. but it seriously over pretty quick

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had my firs one 8 days before my 30th birthday. Even then it was cause I went to a Women's health place for removal of my implanon and they saw on the form that Where it said Date of last Pap smear was blank. So now I know that on every even birthday I have to walk up the street (yes, litterally to the end of my street for this place I never knew it was there.. been there almost my whole life)or try to remember too

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've never had one....are they uncomfortable?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I stay on top of it, always have, had my first at 18 and at minimum every two years.

I keep nagging my mum that she has to go and have it done but she puts it off as she has a condition which means it's incredibly painful and she would probably have to be put under for it.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Slightly uncomfortable but nothing painful, and over in a flash!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I started having pap smears at 13, when I became sexually active. And have had them every 2 years since. To me it's just always been something that has to be done, just like breast exams.

Me + He = DD1 (2007), DD2 (2010) & BellyBaby due August 2012
    Angel Baby 1 (July 2008) & Angel Baby 2 (October 2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    oh yeh that equiptment is freaky, I never look. but it seriously over pretty quick
    yeah I really should get over my fear and just do ir